The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Old 10 February 2024, 02:54 PM   #1
Frederic Mason
Forum Ace

MYSTERY DATE Search

Hello Folks, ready for the Super Bowl?

For quite a while I have been searching for a date in April?-May?, 1917, which was when USA Maj. Gen. George Squier, Signal Corps Chief and Major Benjamin Foulois, made a trip to Toronto, Canada, to visit and survey the RFC Canada operations?? The visit was a prelude to the USA/RFC Canada Agreements to training US fliers in Canada and Texas during the war. This was about the time that Maj. Hiram Bingham, Sig Corps Aviation Training OIC, made his trip with the US College Administrators to Toronto. Bingham was in Toronto from first week in May to May 12, 1917, when he went back to Wash. DC. The date when Squier and Foulois visited Toronto eludes my efforts so far. If anyone has this answer, I would greatly appreciate learning the times they were in Canada? And the reference holding same? This is for a project I'm working on. Thanks again. Cheers; FM
Frederic Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28 February 2024, 04:59 AM   #2
regular122
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Mason View Post
Hello Folks, ready for the Super Bowl?

For quite a while I have been searching for a date in April?-May?, 1917, which was when USA Maj. Gen. George Squier, Signal Corps Chief and Major Benjamin Foulois, made a trip to Toronto, Canada, to visit and survey the RFC Canada operations?? The visit was a prelude to the USA/RFC Canada Agreements to training US fliers in Canada and Texas during the war. This was about the time that Maj. Hiram Bingham, Sig Corps Aviation Training OIC, made his trip with the US College Administrators to Toronto. Bingham was in Toronto from first week in May to May 12, 1917, when he went back to Wash. DC. The date when Squier and Foulois visited Toronto eludes my efforts so far. If anyone has this answer, I would greatly appreciate learning the times they were in Canada? And the reference holding same? This is for a project I'm working on. Thanks again. Cheers; FM
According to the 30 April 1917 issue of Aerial Age Weekly on page 218, the committee visited six days and returned to Washington, DC on 19 April. Specifically mentioned are John Bennett and Benjamin Foulois. Hope this helps.

Steve
regular122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 02:43 PM   #3
Frederic Mason
Forum Ace

Thank you sincerely Steve. I have been looking for these dates a while. Much appreciated assist.
Frederic Mason is offline   Reply With Quote