The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 20 November 2001, 04:07 PM   #11
Baron_von_Tecumseh

They sure flew junk early in the war!

Old 20 November 2001, 04:53 PM   #12
Cigogne
Forum Ace

GJV,

Re: the Bristol Scout... it actually flew in either late 1913-14 and was used in some of the early sports racing competitions like the Gordon Bennett races. An early version appears in the Paris Salon aeroplane exhibition photos. The undercarriage looked a little weak and feeble and the rudder was smaller, but the design is unmistakeable. The C and D models came out later, but the basic design was prewar. The Sopwith Tabloid also was designed as a racer prewar and we all know what that developed into... the Baby, Pup, Triplane, and Camel. Also, Lebed in Russia built carbon copies of the Tabloid and used them.

I think that they were a little ahead of their time and the higher ups didn't know what to make of them. They were seen as hot aircraft, but the average pilots were being taught on BE, Caudron, etc. which were considerably tamer. The role of these aircraft weren't defined as yet, still being worked out. The pusher types seemed to solve the short term problems like lack of synchronization, lack of training, etc. The role of the aircraft early on was reconnaisance and bombing. The pilot in the RFC took the observer around to do his duty with the camera, bombs etc. It was only after the arming of aircraft that the need to have better performing interceptor/fighter aircraft to stop those missions that they woke up. But it took them time...
Old 20 November 2001, 04:58 PM   #13
Cigogne
Forum Ace

Hans Trauner,

There were other subleties as well to the metal panels behind the cowling of the E type Fokkers. If you look closely at the tops of the side panels just ahead of the cockpit, they curve from the verticle axis to slightly outward at the top to meet the top panel surface. I've never seen a model builder or full-size builder get that right. Study the photos of various pilots in the Eindecker cockpits and you'll see what I mean. I definitely see curves, you can see it in the shadow that forms at the top when it rises to meet the overlap of the top panel.
Old 21 November 2001, 03:21 AM   #14
Hans
Forum Ace

Danke, Storch!
As you suspected, I did not notice this detail before. But I was able to identify the photo I had. It could be found also in the Datafile on the E.III. I don't have it here, so I can't tell you the page. It shows a crashed E-Type form bavarian FFA 9b ( white/black striping on the fuselage) , a boy ist standing in front of it, Pilot is Böhme. Renderings of it could be found in the old Profile and in Squadron Signals publication, always stating that a Schwarzlose gun is fitted.

With the help of DSA it was possible to identify this particular bird as a Fokker E.I. I compared the proportions from engine/cockpit with the fuselage and such a short fuselage only the E.I had. The gun is a standard Spandau 08/15. Light conditions enhance the barrel, the but the contrast on the colling jacket is low. I do have a original, sharper print on which the cooling jacket is cleary seen.

But I am still confused about the cowling question. I found E I and E II with round side cowlings and with squared side cowlings. I noticed differences in the lenght of the side panels. There should be differences if a 80 PS engine or a 100 PS was fitted and there are differences caused from ammo belt canisters. I fear that due to the low production numbers of the E I and E II and conversions and upgrade sets there is no way to identify them correctly if you can't see the fuel filler position or if you see only parts of the complete a/c.
Old 21 November 2001, 05:00 AM   #15
Droops
Scout Pilot

Old 25 November 2001, 11:37 PM   #16
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

According to Kenneth Munson's Aircraft of WWI, the Bristol Scout(A) flew for the first time in February of 1914.

The Scout D, which first appeared in 1915, had Vickers MGs mounted on the late production version.

The Second Air VC of the war was won by (then)Capt. L.G. Hawker for shooting down 3 machine gun armed Albatros 2-seaters with a single shot cavalry carbine.

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 26 November 2001, 08:54 AM   #17
leo
Rest in Peace

Speak up Droops!

I couldn't hear you.