The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 2 November 2001, 11:45 AM   #11
chip55
Scout Pilot

Hello
Matt that's a fine looking Fokker DVI ( one of the threads I recently posted was on the DVI.)
Well done Matt.
Chris_H I never had any luck with the massive Pegasus decals. I have the Roden DVI and the Eduard DVI *but haven't got to them yet. I'm not a big fan of the full decals, But they are the best source of detail I guess.

:-/

be well
chip55
Old 7 November 2001, 08:14 AM   #12
Martin

Thank you all gentlemen for your advice and help. May I ask then, which are the best 1/72nd lozenge decals to buy? Is Micro sol and micro set still available?

Old 22 November 2001, 02:40 PM   #13
Dean

Quote:
I have been using the Micro-Set "system" for years and it
has served me well, giving the decals almost a painted-on
appearance. Basically it is a 4 step system;
1- use a gloss finish on the whole model (Testor, Micro,etc.)
* *decals adhere to gloss finich better.
2- use a liberal amount of Micro-Sol on the area to be
* *decaled - this will help to position the decal without
* *tearing it up - excess can be blotted with tissue paper
3 -when you have the decal exactly where you want it,
* *brush Micro-Sol *sparingly on it - let dry completely
* *at least 10-12 hours.
4- brush or spray flat finish on all the model
If you have difficulty with various curves, slice the decal
slightly with a razor blade and repeat the application of
Micro-Set.
I have the Micro-Sol and the Micro Coat Flat, but no Micro-Set. *Can I use this process without Micro-Set, or will I need to order some?

Thanks in advance,
Dean

Old 26 November 2001, 04:03 AM   #14
GuyCanuck

Dean;

I thnik were getting a bit confused here.
Micro-Sol is used to help you position the decal without it tearing or clinging to the surface. O f course, a liberal amount of water will do the same thing, but Micro-Sol simply seems to work better.
Micro-Set is used to "set" the decal in place as it will follow every panel line once it dries, giving the decal a painted-on look. Another product "Solva-Set" will do the same thing.

Whether you use a gloss under-coat or not is a matter of - preference -
you dont have to. I use it simply because I find that decals are easier to position on a gloss surface. Of course, if you use a gloss undercoat, then you will have to dull-coat it after everything is finished. It also has the advantage of giving the paint a uniform finish.

Old 26 November 2001, 03:03 PM   #15
JimR

I use Americals losenge decals,and rib tapes too.Easy to use as 'bolts' of fabric,just like on the originals.IMHO, unfortunately, no substitute for tediously-applied grunt-method one at a time rib tapes. It may take longer, but the result is sooo much nicer. I've never had a result I've liked trying to losenge a large area all at one go....different strokes, I guess.Why hurry,though?

never tried the ALPS thingy,however.

The method above is not all that time consuming for a Fokker D7, but REALLY tries one's patience on, say ,an AEG.GIV!!! ......but, guess which build I am proudest of!

Old 3 December 2001, 12:17 PM   #16
Dean

Has anyone had any experience with Eagle Strike Decals and their 1/72 scale 5-color German Lozenge decals? *I'm thinking of doing an Albatros D.V for my next project after this Jasta 18 Fokker D.VII.

Also, how are the Blue Ryder decals for the Jasta 18 Fokker D.VIIs? *I seem to recall that someone here had done Raben's D.VII lately, and I'm assuming that their decals were used.
Any opinions on these products would be welcome.

I was unable to locate the Micro-Sol products at the Squadron.com *website. *Is there another source? *Or is it made by someone else now? *If it's unavailable, is there an acceptable alternative product?

Thanks in advance,
Dean

Old 5 December 2001, 12:57 AM   #17
chris_h
Observer

Dean,

A word of warning about the difference between Micro Sol and Set.

They both do the same thing basically, however, Sol is much more vicious than Set (I think they must have different mediums because they smell very differently, is there a discerning nose which can identify each?).

You may find that when you use just the Sol it will soften the decal to the point of disintegration if you donít get it into position very quickly.

I would advise using the Set solution as you position the decal in place, the mild softening properties make it more flexible and less brittle. Then the Sol may be applied, this really gets to work and allows the decal to bed itself onto the model.

Happy days, Chris
Old 5 December 2001, 03:53 AM   #18
GuyCanuck

Dean;

I have used Eagle Strike and Blue Ryder decals in the past - they are good decals, as good as the old Aeromaster decals. I'm sure that you wont be disappointed with them.
A s for the Micro-Set, you can substitute another product called "Solvaset" which does essentially the same thing.

Old 5 December 2001, 11:49 AM   #19
Dean

Thanks!

VBR,
Dean

Old 6 December 2001, 12:02 AM   #20
Hans
Forum Ace

DSA wrote:
Blue tapes were on the wings and tails of aircraft built by the Ost Deutsche Albatros werke (OAW). Albatros built Fok. D.VII aircraft had salmon pink tapes. Fokker, Halberstadt, Rumpler, LFG Roland, LVG used cut strips of the lozenge fabric. So gentlemen, do a little reseach on the model you are making before you put the lozenge panels on the wings and the rib tapes on. If you have a question, I would be pleased to help.

Dan-San, do you have any info which color Siemens used on their DIII / D.IV ? Thanks in advance!

Hans