The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 11 December 2001, 04:20 AM   #1
jc
Scout Pilot

A Challenge for you, Weir Cook Project

For you who don't know about the Weir Cook project.
Were a group who is trying to restore the honor back to an American Hero.

The Indianapolis Intern. Airport (IND.) gave the honor of naming it's airport back in the 1940's to the name Weir Cook M. Airport after a man who gave so much to the airport & the state. In 1976 the board took it upon it's self to take away that honor even if it meant going against it's own citizens.

In June of 2001 we brought the issue back to the fore front. Asking that they RESTORE the Full name change or to name the NEW TERMINAL to Weir Cook Terminal. We brought with us all the info to educate them of why they should do this. Their reply was they would have to think over this & that it would be costly. The Pres. also added he would have to see a ground swell of support for this.

We understand that this is happening all over the country. But why let it happen! We are the ones they try to get to go to these ports to fly. And we have broke through with this one because they are NOW listening not like before in 1976.

THE CHALLENGE:
In Jan./Feb. they are going to find their Architect for the new terminal & get the plans going. Our project goes hand in hand w/ theirs. We know that projects usually have a name going in to the plans. We want them to consider ours. Not latter when they come back to us & say, you should of brought it up when we were designing it. We want them to committee to a full name change or terminal naming now. Just COMMIT not necessarily do the change over night. Their hoping we forget over time & not have to bother with this issue.
We would like to get 500 letters of support by Jan. 1, 2002. So we can hand deliver them to the board so they don't forget us! Heres the challenge to you in hopes you join us in this effort. Help us get those 500 letters ! You don't have to say much. Just that you think they should bring back the honor they gave. In memory to all those who served. A big THANKS to those from this site who helped in the beginning it worked! You know who you are. We thank you for all the help you've given & continue to give!!! But we need more if were to get this done. They have learned that outside the state of Indiana. That those people are important in the airports sucess because their flying in & that is an important tool in our fight. We have gotten letters from across the country showing their support.
Like a letter from:

We support you, there seems to be too much of an attitude these days of "throw out the old & bring in the new". If it weren't for the "old", there wouldn't be a "new". Let's not forget it.

Or:
Dear Weir Cook Project,
As I was growing up H. Weir Cook had as much to do w/ my desire to fly as anyone. When I was seven an old Bi-plane flew over, we all went by bicycle to gape. We spotted two Bi-planes sitting in the field across from Edison Dolittles & two fellows talking. Of course, we as kids had to go over & see & maybe ask for a ride. Well the one turned out to be ROSCOE TURNER & the other JIMMY DOLITTLE, they were on their way to see H. Weir Cook. Back then they were only names, but 10 more years I found them making history. as soon as I finished high school in 1943 I enlisted in the Army Air Corp. I flew 35 combat missions as a ball turst gunner on B-17's over Germany. Who knows if I'd been born a few years earlier I may have made" The Hat In The ring!" And I fully support you in this matter of keeping an honor.

Or:
A Nationally known business man who also served his country & ran a successful business that I became friends with through this project. Who tells the story of how flying became important in his life because of Weir Cook.
When he was a lot younger he rode into town on a motorcycle from another state. Meet & became friends with a man named Weir Cook. Who made him interested in planes through their talks & seeing all the maneuvers Weir was doing in the air. This man asked Weir if he could teach him how to fly. Weir of cause said yes & enrolled him in the group American Flying Corp. This man remebers purchasing a bi- plane of Weir Cooks. And his first new then bi-plane for which is still in the family. And that his son flew over our dedication of the monument back in April 22,2001. The groups wing lapel pin Weir Cook gave to him back when he joined the group. He has passed down the honor to us. Hoping that it brings back the same luck it gave him.
And theirs so many more.
Please join us with your letter of support.
You can e-mail it to me & I will see that it gets to the Airport Board with all the others.
The Areodrome site has been & is such a great support for finding the info we needed to do such a effort. The people that use this site & help others is what keeps history alive. And we THANK YOU for all that you do!!!!
Weir Cook Project
Old 14 December 2001, 06:49 PM   #2
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Ok, maybe I missed it somewhere, maybe it's buried in the message, but is there an address where we can send letters to for this???

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 16 December 2001, 02:39 AM   #3
jc
Scout Pilot

Yes, my e-mail. [email protected]
THANK YOU !!!!!!
Old 19 December 2001, 05:05 PM   #4
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

HEY!! Where the heck is everyone?? Don't just sit back and read this, respond!!! Send emails saying you AGREE that Col. Cook should not be forgotten!! You don't have to LIVE in Indianapolis to agree with that!!!

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 1 January 2002, 10:00 AM   #5
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

HEY YOU BOZOS!!!! What is the problem here? Can't you follow friggin' instructions???

Write the G-D letter that JC asked. You don't have to send any money, just SEND him the letter, LIKE THE EXAMPLE in his first posting on this THREAD!!

Now, get off your lazy humps and DO IT!! This is to help restore the name of a great airman to the airport that was named for him after his death, then changed by PC namby-pamby wimps in Indianapolis.

Let's get a move on, JC is REALLY CLOSE on this one, so I want to hear from him that youse guys and gals are getting the lead out, or else I'm coming over with some of my boys and we're gonna rough youse up...oops, sorry, I guess I lived in Chicago too long.

Come, PLEASE copy the example he gives in the FIRST message in this thread and send it to his email address, [email protected] It won't hurt you, and it WILL help restore honor to Harvey Weir Cook.

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 1 January 2002, 10:11 AM   #6
CaptainLewis

Dear Albert,
I resent the tone of your thread and most heartily protest!
I'm also sending a note for the WC project; happy now?
[signed]
Captain "The Gun" Lewis
PS BTW, Happy New Year!
PPS Chicago? Hmmm... Chicago... now where have I heard that name before?

Old 1 January 2002, 10:20 AM   #7
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Well, it's about darn time!!!

Yes, I'm delighted!!! 8)

Chicago, you know, "Bang, Bang."

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 1 January 2002, 09:20 PM   #8
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Ok Everyone, we've started to have a good response. Besides the one in this thread, I also received a personal note about this.

I know you all can do it. It doesn't take much. Just look at the examples in JC's first post, the one that started this thread. Think what YOU would like to say about renaming Indianapolis International Airport to Harvey Weir Cook International Airport, write (actually type it into an email message) and send it to JC!

Come on, get on the ball!!! This is for a Real American Hero!!

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 2 January 2002, 02:02 AM   #9
leo
Rest in Peace

OK! Al, OK! I am off my dufus and am sending requested letter.
Old 2 January 2002, 05:28 AM   #10
jc
Scout Pilot

Hey guys THANKS & keep them comming!!!!
Since their just now starting to come through. I'm going to take them to the Airport Feb 8,2002. When writing if you don't like to type, just put you support us on an email & send it to me. Make sure you include the place your from. I want to let them know this is coming from ALL OVER ! Indiana's people are not the only people who use this port !

Hey Al,
Isn't their away I can get those guys on your greatest site to write (HA, HA)?
jc