The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 10 December 2001, 12:36 AM   #21
GJV

I've been interested in ( military ) history since I was about 6 or 7or so.

But aviation came later.When I was 11 I got those Sierra/Dynamix flight sims (RB,AOE and AOP ) videogame and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm now 18 and it's still going

Old 10 December 2001, 01:40 AM   #22
vince14
Two-seater Pilot

I've been interested in aircraft for as long as I can remember - I used to watch my dad making Airfix kits before I followed in his footsteps. Amazingly, I still have a Spitfire I built when I was about 8! When my interest in WWI started I don't really know, but I think it must have been after reading John Harris's 'The Professionals' which I found in the school library.
Old 10 December 2001, 03:15 AM   #23
Lufbery
Forum Ace

Hmm. I've always been interested in airplanes -- God knows I've been to the National Air & Space Museum dozens of times since I was a wee little kid -- but it wasn't until my early teens that I really started learning about the romance and the history of World War I aviation.

Like many of you, it was a combination of an excellent school library (and the Time-Life book, Knights of the Air) and scale modeling that really hooked my interest.

More importantly, my parents and grandparents really encouraged my interest in history. Now that I'm getting married (in April) and planning on having kids (after a year or so), I plan on being as supportive as my parents, and I'll try to do as much as they did to expose me to opportunities for learning.

I should add, that like Droops, Red Baron and Red Baron II/3D have done a lot to fuel my interest in the more technical aspects of WWI aviation.

Regards,

"Drew can talk -- by Jove, how the man can talk!" -- James Norman Hall in "High Adventure"
Old 10 December 2001, 06:07 AM   #24
CharlesNungesser
Observer

Fast cars, eh? I´d rather have an exact replica *;D of a Nieuport 17, Spad XIII, Sopwith Camel, Fokker DrI or a Albatros D V than ANY of today fast cars like Porsche :P. I bet that I´d have more fun, I wonder if it wouldn´t be less expensive too. What would you choose, your absolute favorite car or an exact replica of your favorite WWI fighter or....??

Charles Nungesser

"A man won't sell you his life, but he'll give it to you for a piece of colored ribbon."

Old Soldier's saying...
Old 10 December 2001, 09:11 AM   #25
Baron_von_Tecumseh

Having worked for a car dealer 12yrs .I'm
burned out on cars.
I'll take a Fokker DR1
Does that come in Red?

Old 10 December 2001, 10:15 AM   #26
CharlesNungesser
Observer

Yes Sir!

You´re in luck, we ´ve one bright Red Fokker DR1 left, low milage too, only "driven" on Sundays. The tank is full, wanna take her for a spin? We can offer you an easy payment for $50/£35 a month and you´re welcome to change to a faster model as well, whenever you want. We also offer free service the first 16000 miles or if you want 6 years instead. we´ll get other models next week, Nieuport, Sopwith, Bristol, Spad, Pfalz, Alabatros.......

Charles Nungesser

"A man won't sell you his life, but he'll give it to you for a piece of colored ribbon."

Old Soldier's saying...
Old 10 December 2001, 12:05 PM   #27
MilesC
Scout Pilot

Airplane models as a child - mostly WWII stuff. My favourites were the Lysander and the Zeke that I carefully filled, sanded and painted. Later I was attracted to history, all throughout High School it was my favourite subject. I considered a career in history at one point, but you know there just isn't any future in it. *(8-}

Flight sims like Red Baron 3D started the juices flowing, then I got an internet account with a whopping 5 Mbs of storage for a personal webpage. But what to do with it? Dan MacCaffrey really got me going with his first book on Canadian aces, then I pretty much outgrew his inaccurate accounts of historical figures I figured that I could do as well, if not better on the net. So I started researching and writing about Canadian military fliers. This was the genesis of Canadian Air Aces and Heroes. And here I am.

Miles
Old 10 December 2001, 12:29 PM   #28
Old_Nick
Observer

My Grandfather has served with the Yankee Division in WW1, so I was already interested in anything I could read on that topic. All about the same time I too discoved gurney's book in the school library (but in the 1960's :-X). Then came airfix/revell kits, the dogfight game (still have it ) and too many more books (with neat pictures).

Peter, you are right about hobbies. I gaem with miniatures and too many folks have never painted the toys soldiers they push or built terrain to fight on. They buy ready painted troops and commerical terrain. You are right, too little time for enjoyment. But it takes some of the fun out of it.

Old Nick
Old 10 December 2001, 05:03 PM   #29
chip55
Scout Pilot

Hello

Me papa got me interested in airplanes when I couldn't even walk yet (so I was told).
He had his commercial license and did a lot of flying to which I became his so called "co pilot".
My first ride was in a Stinson Gullwing (year unknown) anyhoo..As far as WWI Aviation being my favorite..
I just liked to look of the aircraft. When me pops took me to the U.S.A.F museum it was always my favorite era display.
He used to build WWI stick models and I would always like flipping the tissue to here the cool popping noise it made..(then pay for the holes I put in it with my butt :-[..understandable).
*My aunt was secretary to Curtis Pitts of the Pitts Special fame which kept the biplane thingy going.
Now comes the part where I duck the bricks flying...Snoopy helped with my interest a lot..
I used to think Eddie Rickenbacker shot down the red baron, *until I heard of Ol Snoops and his Camel I knew Eddie flew the 28 and the SPAD..hmm I guess I should have asked pops but...Eddie was American and that was that until I did the reseach :-[.

Enough of the long wind :

be well

chip55

ps I don't know how I jumped into the bold type ???
Old 10 December 2001, 07:14 PM   #30
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

The airplanes were always there. Growing up on the wheat ranch, my brothers & I were constantly exposed to ag planes, light aircraft, and SAC bombers out of Fairchild at Spokane. One of the most vivid memories of my life is standing in the front yard, maybe age 6, and feeling a vibrant, pulsing THRUMMING in the air. Minutes later a huge aluminum overcast appeared, blotting out the sun (or so it seemed.)
That was a B-36.
THAT was impressive! The B-52 was a piker by comparison.
I will ALWAYS watch Jimmy Stewart's "Strategic Air Command" for the gorgeous aerial photography of Peacemakers flying into the sunset (or maybe sunrise), streaming golden contrails. Sure it's saccharine, sure it's PR, sure it's interservice politics (the title song is "When the AF Takes Command"). It don't matter.
WW I interest? It was always there, too. Impossible to say when or why, but it was well established by the time I began flying. Rat-racing with the other Scarf & Goggles Club pilots certainly enhanced a kid's taste for biplane aviating!