The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 1 January 2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
To model builders:
I have recently concluded studies on Halberstadt Cl.II and the SSW D.III aircraft which provides some interesting information that is contradictary to what has been accepted as how these machines were finished.
1. Halberstadt Cl.II. Production order C5675 - 5774/17 and possibly C.6300 -6399/17.
The upper surface of the wings, tailplane, elevator, fin and rudder were covered with the Day Printed Five Color LIGHT (lower surface) Pattern linen fabric. The under surfaces of the wings, center-section, tailplane and elevator were covered with PLAIN unprinted linen fabric. Rib tapes were 25 mm wide cut strips of the printed lozenge fabric. The sides and top of the fuselage and center-section were painted in splatter of dots forming simular polygons to the printed fabric approximately 300-350 mm in diameter of the five colors used in the printed camouflage fabric approximateing: oriental blue,(22D5); greyish magenta, (15D4); dull green,(25D3); greyish ruby,(12D5) and ochre, (5C6). The Struts were light grey.
2. SSW D.III Production order D.8340 -8359/17 and possibly D.1600 -1629/18.
The upper surface of the wings and elevator were covered with the Five Color Day LIGHT (under surface) Lozenge Printed linen fabric. The fabric was applied to the upper wing at 45 to the leading edge. The ailerons, elevator and the lower wing panels, span wise. Rib tapes were 25 mm wide strips of the printed fabric. The cabane and interplane struts were wrapped with the Light printed fabric. The fuselage, upper and lower fins and stabilizer were stained a reddish- brown approximating (8E8). The cowlings and under-carriage struts were aluminum.
On re-delivery of the modified SSW D.III the engine cowl was painted to match the stained fuselage.
This should evoke some interesting discussion.
Blue skies,
Dan-San Abbott
Sponsored Links
Old 2 January 2001, 02:36 AM   #2
PeterL
Forum Ace

Dan, do you have a view on the Udet SSW DIII? Was it really red? And, if so, why would the erk tasked with paiting it take such great pains to go carefully around all the various louvres and panels? It's so clean it must have been masked, if it really was red.

cheers

Peter L

Peter L
Old 2 January 2001, 07:18 AM   #3
Ginger.
Shot Down

Thanks Dan,the info is spot on for us modellers.
Old 2 January 2001, 07:25 AM   #4
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Peter L:
I had just recently completed a six view watercolor of Ltn. Ernst Udet's SSW D.III 8350/17 for a customer in New Mexico. I spent a considerable amount of time researching all the extant photographs of the plane. The result of my study is the aircraft was painted dull (non-gloss) red all over, both sides of the wings, cabane and interplane struts, fuselage and fins, tailplane, elevator, wheel covers, spinner,and engine hood. The lower cowl strap, the bottom cowling panel with the louvers, under carriage struts, spreader bar and axle fairing were aluminum. On both sides of the fuselage aft ot the cockpit was a large white LO!. The rudder was white. Black llatin style crosses were painted on the wings and rudder. The wing crosses were edged in white. Every photograph that I have found confirms these findings.
Blue skies,
Dan-San Abbott
Old 3 January 2001, 02:44 AM   #5
DJ
Scout Pilot

To clarify, you are stating that both the top and bottom of both wings were painted red as well?
Old 3 January 2001, 10:13 AM   #6
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
DJ:
Both sides of both wings were painted dull red.
Blue skies,
Dan-San Abbott
Old 3 January 2001, 06:39 PM   #7
GMcManus

Do you know how many victories were scored
in this aircraft?

Old 3 January 2001, 07:51 PM   #8
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
GMcManus:
From the Information I have Ltn.Udet achieved no victories in his SSW D.III. Jasta 4 moved to Metz on 27 September 1918. He achieved his 62cd and last victory on 26 September 1918. He went on leave 29 September and returned 22 October 1918 at which time he aquired the SSW D.III.
Blue skies,
Dan-San Abbott
Old 7 January 2001, 06:10 PM   #9
Hart

Dan San-Abbott provides some interesting assertions regarding colors and finishes of a few interesting German WW I Aircraft. It would be very useful if he could also provide scans of these images for the uninitiated to examine.