The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 29 December 2003, 02:18 PM   #1
JohnReid
Shot Down

has anyone ever heard of solartex or goldberg coverings as a model fabric?
Sponsored Links
Old 29 December 2003, 02:40 PM   #2
PeterL
Forum Ace

I used Solartex when I was still doing flying models thirty years ago. It's an iron on plastic material. A very clean finish but perhaps not best suited for scale work as it doesn't take paint well. In anycase painting it counters one of its main advantages in that it doesn't need fuel proofer. It is apperently still around and a quick google search threw up a bunch of suppliers

Peter L
Old 29 December 2003, 02:43 PM   #3
MikeW
Forum Ace

Solartex was/is an iron to seal and shrink textured material - if I remember correctly it was the British equivalent of the American stuff that was too expensive to buy over here. It was much heavier than Solarfilm (made by the same company). I've been out of RC models for years so don't know if it's still around.

What really sticks in my mind about it was the "natural linen" colour which to my eyes was absolutely perfect for CDL undersurfaces - on the other hand, their PC10 colour was ridiculous being dark green, not even a slight hint of brown! I used to cover my WW1 models in the linen colour and spray the upper surfaces.

Mike
Old 29 December 2003, 04:07 PM   #4
JohnReid
Shot Down

I am in a bit of a quandary over if I should go with a fabric material of some kind or styrene sheet plastic? I understand that some people use plastic at .005 gauge over solid cores and I wonder if it would possible to use this on a built-up wing with ribs etc? I was thinking of using clear and then airbrushing on the color to retain the translucent effect.What do you think? Cheers! John.
Old 29 December 2003, 04:08 PM   #5
PeterL
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeW@Dec 30 2003, 03:43 AM
[b] It was much heavier than Solarfilm (made by the same company). I've been out of RC models for years so don't know if it's still around.
It's all coming back to me now (quick nurse, the screens!) What I described is Solarfilm, but I did use Solartex now you remind me. Do I remember a lozenge fabric? Not particularly accurate, but looked great on my Veron(?) D8. Or was that not Solartex?

Peter L
Old 29 December 2003, 04:20 PM   #6
PeterL
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnReid@Dec 30 2003, 05:07 AM
[b] I am in a bit of a quandary over if I should go with a fabric material of some kind or styrene sheet plastic? I understand that some people use plastic at .005 gauge over solid cores and I wonder if it would possible to use this on a built-up wing with ribs etc? I was thinking of using clear and then airbrushing on the color to retain the translucent effect.What do you think? Cheers! John.
Five thou over the area you plan to use it would be a little flimsy, even if supported by a framework. Very thin plastic card has no tear strength and is easily damaged. Accetate can be inscribed in the same way. It has greater tear strength, is robust enough to handle in large sections, and is transparent. Solartex or some other textile like covering would not need pre-detailing to get the effect of fabric over ribs, but I would predict problems attaching it.

Peter L
Old 29 December 2003, 04:40 PM   #7
JohnReid
Shot Down

Peter,is accetate the same as mylar ? I have some brownish colored mylar, maybe I should give this a go.I would have to airbrush it a linen color,I hope I can retain the translucent effect. Watered down gesso tinted a linen color.Gesso seems to stick to anything and has some texture.Thanks for your help.Cheers! John.
Old 29 December 2003, 04:43 PM   #8
SteveS
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterL@Dec 29 2003, 08:08 PM
[b]Do I remember a lozenge fabric? Not particularly accurate, but looked great on my Veron(?) D8. Or was that not Solartex?
Ah yes.
I remember Coverite here in the states made a lozenge covering. If my memory serves me well it came in 2 scales. I had used it way back in the 70's on some rc stuff that I built, flew and crashed. I would love to get back into rc again, but flying sites are few here on Long Island.

Salute,
Steve
Old 30 December 2003, 12:22 AM   #9
PeterL
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnReid@Dec 30 2003, 05:40 AM
[b]Peter,is accetate the same as mylar ? I have some brownish colored mylar, maybe I should give this a go.
Not quite the same but similar. Personally I would favour mylar, which I have only seen in a finish like frosted glass. Spraying it with a laquer might make it more transparent, then you could try the gesso on top of that I last used it ten years ago to cut stencils for a 1/1 scale peice of furniture. It occurred to me then that it might be a useful modeling material, I just never got around to trying it.

Peter L
Old 30 December 2003, 06:03 AM   #10
JohnReid
Shot Down

Hey Peter! its me again you know last night after having gathered all the info on fabric covering,I said to myself,do I really want to do this?So I dug out some pics of my other dioramas and decided then and there to drop the whole idea(sorry I wasted a lot of time too)My oiginal idea was to follow the great example of the Nieuport bebe at fine scale models website, but then I thought would fabric covering really add anything to my dioramas.The answer is a resounding no. All it would do is be an obstacle to viewing the rest of the diorama and hide some of the detail which is not my intention.If I was doing a free standing model that would be a different story.Oh well, its really not time wasted ,all part of the creative process, I guess.Thanks a lot anyway.Cheers! John. P.S. you will note that I finally learned how to spell Nieuport correctly!