The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 27 August 2005, 03:08 PM   #11
greatwarpilot
Forum Ace

Contributor

The tank version of the Coninental W670 is the 9A. It has 7 cylinders just as the aviation version does and as maxim08 mentioned the accessories and crank are the most significant differneces. For example the carb on a tank engine doesn't have a mixture control. The main issue with the crank shaft is both in terms of spline and the way it mates with the inside of the shaft and the case. If you have one of the non aviation versions then to the best of my knowledge it cannot be used in a certified aircraft a W670. However that doesn't prevent someone from using it in a homebuilt, uncertifitied aircrat - such as your DRI project.

The Great War Flying Museum also uses an aviation W670 in their N28 replica and its quite a nice match.
Old 27 August 2005, 04:28 PM   #12
CORVUS
Two-seater Pilot

Thank you all. It is a 670 Landing Craft Engine. Converted for use as an aircraft engine. It has an SAE 30 spline shaft which means it's a different diameter than SAE 20 spline shaft used typically for aircraft engines. The shaft is also supposed to be a bit shorter. There were some hubs made for the SAE30 but are hard to find. It does not have the mixture control either. I would also like to add that if you were to try and convert to an aircraft version you would need at least two pretty big items. A crank shaft and the shaft case. As well as seals and bearings, seats. etc. The crankcase and pistons appear to be the same as I have been told .

Last edited by CORVUS; 28 August 2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 29 August 2005, 02:26 PM   #13
US95Damiani
Forum Ace

one Item of note,
the Tank/Landing-craft version is from what I've read is about 75# heavier than the aircraft version. the price difference is approximately 18,000 a properly overhauled aviation W-670 goes for about $22,000 US outright and $17,000 US overhaul exchange. I just recently installed one in a Stearman for a customer.
Old 30 August 2005, 12:40 PM   #14
CORVUS
Two-seater Pilot

During my research I have run across many people asking the same questions I have so I am glad we are getting all these responses. I'm not the only one benefiting. I just found out that the diameter or the R-670 is 42 - 1/2". This is a bit larger than the correct diameter of the Triplane Cowl. As I recall the cowling on the Frank Ryder DVIII which had an R-670 was larger then the fuselage cowl ring. The cowl ring diameter is the same on the Triplane and the DVIII. The Warner Scarab is about 39-1/2" and fits nicely. Inside diameter of the cowl is about 42". I've pretty much given up on the 670 Landing Craft engine. It's too far away ( Alaska to Florida) and the shipping cost is killing me. Told you it was close to Russia. He will not sell the 30 spline hub unless I buy the propeller. I would pay nearly as much for the propeller as the engine. I have built two propeller's for a couple of Rotary's so I don't need to buy one. I don't like the restrictions and limitations on the engine. I'm looking into some other options. Thanks everyone for all these very helpful and informative responses.

Last edited by CORVUS; 30 August 2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 30 August 2005, 04:58 PM   #15
US95Damiani
Forum Ace

Louis,
you might want to check in Pennsylvania, The A&P school I attended is closing in September, and has at least 5 or 6 W-670's in good overhaulable condition, they are tank engines, and I'm sure they have at least one if not more prop hubs, for the test clubs we used to run on them. You may be able to get one of them for a song at auction. the name of the school is upper bucks institute of aeronautics in Quakertown Pennsylvania. it is part of the Upper Bucks VoTech schools program. good luck in your search.
Closed Thread