Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 16 March 2002, 08:50 AM   #1
kenderoz

Welcome everybody!

On the subject of WWI colouration schemes, you never really hear about how effective some of the camouflage patterns were. I often get the impression that the German Air Service were much more advanced in this field than the Allies.

What I would like to know is, how effective were the Lozenge pattern and the standard two-tone green and mauve schemes? When the Lozenge pattern camouflage is viewed from a distance, it looks like dried leaves: I don't know how this appears to you other Forumites?

I look forward to hearing others' opinions on the effectiveness of these schemes!

Best Wishes, kenderoz. *;D

Old 16 March 2002, 09:18 AM   #2
Andy_Fox

Ken here I fall down!! You see I have some colour photos from ww2 of bombers in standard camoflage and it is actually darn effective.So if I theorise that if the British matte green is the same in both conflicts then the slower biplanes single colour would actually be quite effective.Just a thought you understand.

Old 16 March 2002, 09:40 AM   #3
MikeW
Forum Ace

Andy,

which British aircraft were painted matte green in WW1?
Old 16 March 2002, 10:06 AM   #4
Rex_Feral

Quote:

When the Lozenge pattern camouflage is viewed from a distance, it looks like dried leaves: I don't know how this appears to you other Forumites?
Hello kenderoz!

I have read that the idea behind lozenge camo was based on optical illusion. The dazzling scheme supposedly tricks the eye into seeing it as a color similar to the predominant background color. Never having seen lozenge air-to-air, I can't attest to how well it works.

I find standard sprayed camo patterns to be relatively easy to spot air-to-air. Most camoflage effects seem to go out the window when the camoflaged object is moving.

Old 16 March 2002, 10:15 AM   #5
Rex_Feral

Quote:

You see I have some colour photos from ww2 of bombers in standard camoflage and it is actually darn effective.
There is a big difference between still photos and seeing them firsthand. The moving aircraft is quite easy to see, if you are close enough to make out colors. If the aircraft is far enough away to just appear a black spot, then it is hard to see!

Old 16 March 2002, 12:38 PM   #6
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

For years our Scarf & Goggles Club included a restored Thomas-Morse Scout with "khaki" color scheme plus US cockades & rudder stripes. It was semi-invisible from above or anywhere near the horizon at about half to 3/4 mile. The white cowling was by far the easiest way to see it air to air.
Of course, those of us in Stearmans (and the N3N ) got lots of practice playing Spot The Tommy because it was so s-l-o-w.
Old 17 March 2002, 04:18 AM   #7
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Hello kenderoz!

Maybe these websites will answer some of your questions:

http://www.wwiaviation.com/cammo.shtml

http://www.wwiaviation.com/lozenge.shtml

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

"Much to learn, you still have."
(Yoda)

"I never said all that shit!"
(Confucius)
Old 17 March 2002, 06:53 AM   #8
Andy_Fox

Mike the colour code for my HP 0/400 model comes out as matte dark green.Don`t tell me Humbrol got their colours wrong!!

Old 17 March 2002, 07:22 AM   #9
BradC

Hi We fly several camo. planes with brite as opposed to drab colors. If they are below you they are very hard to find even in the pattern. All we are trying to do is form up, we know which plane to look for and where to look, but accuisition still takes quite a bit of effort. looking over miles of territory with out knowing what to look for I think it would be very hard. I think it also makes it harder to plot an intercept .VBR Brad

Old 17 March 2002, 10:11 AM   #10
MikeW
Forum Ace

Andy,

I am unable to comment on the Humbrol colours as I don't know what is referenced for your model - they do have a colour called "RFC Green" in their "World War 1 Aircraft" range which I believe to be the product of a deranged mind!

There is a nice colour profile of a HP 0/100 in Brad King's "Royal Naval Air Service", showing the machine finished in PC10 which I suspect was probably the specified finish. Matte green it aint.
Closed Thread