Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 1 February 2002, 04:12 AM   #1
gregoire
Forum Ace

I was reading the thread about Jean Navare Red Nieuport and that give me the following idea

the first red painted aircraft I have found trace of was a french one flown by the commandant Happe he was a bomber pilot MF29 I think and one of the frenc pionner of the french bombardement. as a reward was put to whom will shot down its plane it painted the wings and the undercariage in red and drop leaflet to stat that he was in the red painted plane. I do not know if the story is propaganda or not but I have seen a picture of his plane and the color (it is a black and white picture) seems red (same color as the roundel)
The second name that come to mind is Navare (la sentinel de Verdun) that was flying a red nieuport I have not seen picture but read poilu letters that they that have seen the red nieuport of Navare so I trust them. then Madon with a red spad and David Putnam. was there any other red pilot.

No I have not forgotten you know who, do you have any proof that this pilot decided to use red on his palne to copy navare (I have read that in the navar tread)

PS I hope you have appreciated the fact that I have been talking about red ww1 plane without using a certain name :-X
Old 1 February 2002, 07:20 AM   #2
Lyle
Forum Ace

Hello Gregoire,
Udet's Siemens Schuckert D.III started out probably with a red fuse and 5-color fabric on the wings; sometime later the wings were overpainted red. *I hope this was not the name that must not be mentioned...
VBR, Lyle
Old 1 February 2002, 07:53 AM   #3
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Lyle:
The current belief that Oblt. Ernst Udet's SSW.D.III 8350/17 had a red fuselage and 4 color printed fabric wings is based on the illustration in Profile 86 by P.Ensleigh Castle. Unfortunately it is incorrect. The wings were covered with 5 color fabric and were entirely over painted red with a white rudder, aluminum under cowl and landing gear legs. There are several photos that clearly show the wings were over painted.
Examples are in the Albatros Productions Ltd publication, SSW D.III-D.IV, inside the front cover, no evidence of the printed fabric and top of page 14, 15 and top of 16. That photo was taken in October 1918 at Metz when Jasta 4 was stationed there. The Fok. D.VII in the background is in Jasta 4 markings and the only SSW D.III was Udet's.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 1 February 2002, 02:21 PM   #4
Cigogne
Forum Ace

German airmen who have flown red fuselaged aircraft:

Jasta 1: Hans Kummetz reputed to have flown red fuselaged Albatros.

Jasta 4: Ernst Udet w/ Fok. D.VII and SSW D.III aircraft

Jasta 11: Brauneck, Allmenröder, Schäfer, Simon and several others almost all read Albatros D.III aircraft with only nose, and tailplane/elevator/rudder with different colors (Simon's whose Albatros D.III fuselage was all red with a green band around the fuselage behind the cockpit was captured and well documented in British captivity.

Jasta 28: Schäfer flew his red fuselaged/black tailed D.III as Jastaführer of Jasta 28 until his death. It is also purported that Max Müller flew his Albatros D.V for a time with a red fuselage (It had a stylized comet,black/white outline on fuselage sides). His letters state he changed his markings every couple of weeks.

Jasta 29: Ludwig Dornheim is supposed to have flown a red fuselaged Albatros D.III before he was killed in March/April 1917

Austro-Hungarians airmen:

Flik 41j: Hauptmann Godwin Brumowski of course.

French airmen:
Jean Navarre in Nieuport 11 Bébé, Georges Madon flew at least one red SPAD XII aircraft. Also Guynemer's squadron mate Bucquet from Escadrille N.3 of the Storks flew a red Nieuport 16 with Alkan system synchronized Lewis gun.

British:
At the end of the war or just after Duncan Grinnell-Milne flew an all red S.E.5a called "Schweinhund"

I'm sure there must be more.

And then you have the half reds!

Berthold and his Jasta 18/15 crowd (Red nose-blue fuselages, Raben and his later Jasta 18 with vermillion red noses and white tails...

Cigogne
Old 1 February 2002, 02:28 PM   #5
Lyle
Forum Ace

Hi Dan,
Thanks for confirming the fact that the wings were overpainted. *Indeed one can see what seems like brushmarks. *Doerflinger said that Udet immediately painted it red upon receipt, so here the photographic evidence backs up what has been written, and vise versa. *
I wish all color scheme questions could be verified as completely as this!
VBR, Lyle
Old 1 February 2002, 06:51 PM   #6
stevedrew
Forum Ace

Gentlemen,
ALL this discussion on red-painted aircraft without a SINGLE mention of the name...........
I'm VERY impressed.........keep it up, guys.

Steve Drew 8)
Old 1 February 2002, 07:08 PM   #7
PeterL
Forum Ace

Were the REP monoplanes painted red as standard? The usual "I read it somewhere" applies

Peter L
Old 1 February 2002, 11:39 PM   #8
Ginger.
Shot Down

Now look here chaps.>
I'm the first to admit to being a bit slow on the uptake.So who was this other bloke who thought he looked spiffing in red.???
Old 2 February 2002, 04:44 AM   #9
Andy_Fox

Weren`t all the aircraft in HIS circus reputed to have been painted red but not totally red[assumedly to have distinguished between individual pilots].That is to say different coloured rudders,tailplanes etc.

Old 2 February 2002, 07:19 AM   #10
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Gregoire:
So it now it is confirmed that many [pilots flew aircraft on both side that had red on the them as a personal marking. so it confirms that you know who did not have a lock on the color red even among German pilots. See I was able to make my statement without mentioning MvR, so there.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Closed Thread