Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 08:24 AM   #1
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Im urgently looking for photos and data of the above mentioned aircraft for my CD-Rom concerning the 100 most used planes of WW1. (The only thing I know is that the AEG J.1 was only a slightly improved AEG C.IV: including a steel plate for protection of the crew, 2 additional 45 degrees forward/downward firing guns, different engine.)

Thanks in advance!

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

"Much to learn, you still have."
(Yoda)

"I never said all that shit!"
(Confucius)
Sponsored Links
Old 23 January 2002, 03:15 PM   #2
Droops
Scout Pilot

A.E.G. J I and J II aircraft are given some detail in Gray and Thetford's book on German Aircraft. Of the four photographs in the book, three are attributed to Alex Imrie.

You probably already know that, but just in case. . .

Since Rick and Dan-San are doing a book on on the Schlachtstaffeln, as I recall, maybe a note to them might yield some results.

VBR,

John
Old 23 January 2002, 05:21 PM   #3
Rick
Rest in Peace

Since the Schusta/Schlasta did not employ either the AEG J.I nor J.II, you might have a long wait from us to expect an response. * * * * *R.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:06 PM   #4
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Rick:
But they did! No they did not, it was Alb. J.I, Schlasta 1 and 28b.
Troubled skies,
Dan-San
PS; Another damned airplane!
Old 23 January 2002, 06:33 PM   #5
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Well, this is the best I can do, hope it helps!!

Old 24 January 2002, 02:58 AM   #6
Droops
Scout Pilot

Which just goes to show you that just when I think I've gotten a handle on something. . . .

John
Old 24 January 2002, 05:45 AM   #7
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Gentlemen,

thank you very much for your help concerning the photo and some additional information. You filled a gap in my WW1 aviation work.

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

(Yoda)

(Confucius)
Old 24 January 2002, 08:47 AM   #8
Cigogne
Forum Ace

Al Lowe and others,

Stop, wait, hold it! You folks need to be careful. Scanning out of a book doesn't give you the rights to distribute that image. That is copyrighted material. Since you do not own the image you don't have the right to give it to someone else to sell in a product. There are international copyright laws against that.

Hopefully, Volker, you won't accept that image and risk legal action. Putnam is a longstanding publisher and has deep pockets and can afford lawyers.

There are a lot of loose cannons around here and a lot of posting of images goes on online all the time here. Much of it is illegal and against copyright law and unfair to the owners of the original images. So, please bear that in mind. Also, just because something appeared in print doesn't mean it is Public Domain. Why do they have credits in publications? Because they had to pay or agreed on a one time basis to use the image and by law/agreement have to mention that. There are lawsuits that go on everyday about this and ignorance isn't an excuse nor the fact that a lot of people do it. The courts won't see it that way, you'll be out of some money in damages.

So be careful, and take time to research who has what and get permissions. It goes a long way and doesn't ruffle feathers or risk legal action.

There are images from sites that I've designed that now are now on Mr. Rosebud's site and the WWI Aviation site, and another WWI site in Germany. They never asked to use them but took them from the site without so much as a credit to where he got them. There was a email link that they could've inquired about useage rights. They took the easy dishonest way. Imagine, suddenly there are at least two different sites where the artwork of Messrs. Durkota, Pearson, and Chuck Sterns appears and no mention is made of where they got it. There is only two sources it could have come from, namely the Over The Front and Flying Machines Press sites. Even the file names remained the same.

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Rosebud's site, it is one that I love to browse through. But, it irked me to see what I had worked to restore, and arrange for use elsewhere to be placed where I had not intended it to go.

It is time to learn netiquette folks.

Most collectors will be happy to let someone use an image.

Ask, people, ask!
Old 24 January 2002, 09:48 AM   #9
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

FYI, the photo is from the Imperial War Museum. (That's what the letters I.M.W. are for in the brackets) *As for the info, I would think that it would be used to compile his OWN words concerning the AGO J1.

But what does Putnam have to do with this??

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 24 January 2002, 10:28 AM   #10
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Hello!

I dont want to be misunderstood. I mainly do the work for myself and after finishing it I want to share it with a small number of German speaking WW1 aviation enthusiasts.

It is not my intention to make profit out of it! In think that there is no real market for such a thing in Germany.

But if I have to ask for permission to use a photo: who is to be asked? Do I have to get in contact with one half of the world population just for a permission for one picture (I expect approx. 120 pages, one per aircraft!)? Is there an "authority" for pictures without copyrights?

I will offer that I will remove all pictures with copyrights or something similar in case of a protest or complaint. In the most optimistic case I hope to share 15 - 20 CD-Roms with German speaking (reading) persons.

Im working 6 days a week and if there is some time left I spend an hour or less every evening at my computer desk. How many Euros or Dollars do I have to spend just to be sure? It is just a hobby I want to share !!! I expected to work on the whole thing for about 9 months. Thank God that that I asked a photo question so early and I still can stop working on it! Its not funny at all!

> *:'(

Can someone help me out of this situation?

???

Any comments from some German Forumites?

???

Any help is very welcome !!!

(???)

(Yoda)

(Confucius)
Closed Thread