The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Other WWI Aviation

Other WWI Aviation Airfields, equipment, tactics, training, uniforms and all other WWI aviation topics

Closed Thread

Old 21 October 2003, 06:57 PM   #1
BobE
Scout Pilot

I'm a little behind the curve on this one. A couple of days ago I caught this show on the History Channel. Apparently a series of programs entitled "A Day in The Life". This one on WWI pilots. Great program. I recommend it. Finally a History Channel documentary done right (although they have been getting better lately}.No loud, dramatic music drowning out the experts who included Alex Revell among others. The program profiled a typical Camel pilot's day with some good flight footage of mixed vintage. New to me was the statement that the most common injury to pilots was a broken ankle caused by having their foot on the rudder bar during landings, although I don't really understand why that would be so.
Bob E
Old 23 October 2003, 10:07 AM   #2
wingedwarrior

Do you know if they will re-air it? I would like to see it. I too am perplexed about the broken ankle thing.

regards

Old 26 October 2003, 03:46 PM   #3
EdStevens
Scout Pilot

Did the Camel have a steerable tailskid? If so, perhaps an overly rough landing could cause the rudder bar linked to the skid to snap an ankle?
Old 27 October 2003, 05:11 AM   #4
BobE
Scout Pilot

I checked the HC site. Did not find a new airing date but the program is available on tape from them.
Ed, you make an excellent point. That would make perfect sense.
Not sure about the skid. Have to check it out.
Bob E