Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 30 June 2006, 03:23 AM   #1
Purser
Observer

RNAS flying-boats and floatplanes

I have no wish to reopen the great What Colour Was PC10 debate, but could anyone advise please what was the standard/authorised finish for the upper surfaces of RNAS seaplanes (boat and float variety) from 1916?

I am interested primarily in the Short 184, Curtis H.12, and Felixstowe F.3 (but not the garish Felixstowe F.2 colours used on the east coast).

My research suggests that it was actually PC10, but the sources that I have consulted have left me confused!

Purser
Sponsored Links
Old 30 June 2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Simba
Two-seater Pilot

Methinks PC10 was 'it', if only because it the mass-produced paint for the British air forces - and those 'boats had huge wing areas and needed the best possible protection against the elements.

Now what variety of PC10, that's another matter . . .

Cheers!

Simba.
Old 14 July 2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Purser
Observer

On reflection, perhaps I should have been a little more precise with the question and added "in British waters".

Simba - many thanks for thoughts, I would go along with your conclusion and it confirms what I was coming round to after wading through all the material published on what I had thought was going to be a simple subject.

.....and no, I don't think I really want to go along the "what shade/hue/variety" path
Old 14 July 2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Simba
Two-seater Pilot

The uppersurfaces on the Felixstowe F.2A and its fabric-covered flanks and hull deckings were doped either PC10 Khaki or a Dark Green (the latter a pigmented marine varnish early form of NIVO, not unlike the Dark Green used in WWII).

Source of this info is p.35 of Windsock Datafile 82 'Felixstowe F.2A' by J.M.Bruce; 2000, Albatros Publications Ltd, Berkhamsted, ISBN 1-902207-24-6.

Datafile 85 'Short 184' by J.M.Bruce p.38 - "The early Shorts were finished in clear-doped fabric overall . . . When camouflage was introduced in 1916, uppersurfaces were to be seen finished in PC10, then PC12 dopes, roundels on these surfaces being outlined in white . . . floats remained in clear varnish or enamel."

Hope this helps.

<hoists sundowner>

Splice the mainbrace!

Simba.
Old 16 July 2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Purser
Observer

Simba - thanks again for your time.

I've got both the Windsock monographs, but had become temporarily confused when I started to compare them with the Harleyford "Aircraft Camouflage and Markings 1907-1954". A look throught the related threads on The Aerodrome made things worse for a while !

Interestingly, the RNAS Curtiss H.12s all seem to have varnished hulls, with the lower portions in the darker anti-fouling finish. Tail fin and upper wing surfaces in the dark green (no names mentioned) finish.

Up spirits !
Closed Thread