The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Movies, Television & Video

Movies, Television & Video Topics related to WWI aviation movies, documentaries, television, and other videos etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10 November 2006, 09:36 AM   #1
big_news_1
Observer

Warplanes on PBS

Just caught a couple episodes of "Warplanes" on PBS Wednesday night, the first of which was a brief history of the airplane's development through the Great War. Who else saw this show? It was exciting for me to sit down with my wife and let her watch some of the actual history behind Flyboys. The historical details never went into great depth or detail, but it was a nice Reader's Digest version.

BTW, the "Secrets of the Dead" show that followed was also extremely interesting. I only get about 12 useful channels on my TV, so I'm glad PBS is still showing this kind of stuff.
Old 10 November 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
ercoupepilot
Two-seater Pilot

I caught most of it, I thought it was quite well done. Appropriately stressed the observation role (including arty spotting, and especially cameras such as their use at Neuve Chappelle) and that the scouts and fighters came later in response.
It wasn't all Richtofen this and Red Baron that, which was nice.

Ryan
Old 11 November 2006, 02:25 AM   #3
Paul Forster
Two-seater Pilot

I saw it.I have to say I was a little disapointed.The "Secrets Of The Dead" about the dogfight between Saburo Sakai and the American pilot was better.
Old 11 November 2006, 10:00 AM   #4
TomVrille
Forum Ace

I enjoyed the Airplane to Air Force segment that chronicled the evolution of the airplane from curiosity to an essential weapon. Although the historical development was treated at a very general level, there were very few errors in what was presented. If nothing else, PBS deserves considerable credit for giving the WW1 segment almost equal time with the mainly WW2 program titled Air Force to Airpower!
"A surprise attack is much more demoralising than any other form, and generally results in the person attacked diving or pulling the machine into such a position that it forms a most satisfactory target for the few seconds necessary to deliver a decisive blow. " - R. S. Dallas
Old 11 November 2006, 10:26 AM   #5
jumpinjan
Forum Ace

I want to dispute the "thick wing" discoverers in the PBS' script. They said the thick airfoils & idea of incorporating the bracing structures (and other functions) into a thick wing was the work of Ludwig Prandtl at Gottingen. I disagree. Hugo Junkers had 1910 patents on that technology and in 1914 decided to design & build the first all-metal aircraft using the wing support structures inside a thick wing. PBS gave no credit to Junkers, even though his post-war aircraft opened up the commercial airline industry with efficient, thick wing technologies.
Also, what was the point of the 1/4 scale Fokker Eindecker in the wind tunnel? What was the point of that story? Most all the thin airfoils they used had abrupt stalling characteristics. They failed to mention the important point that the Eindecker had inefficient wing warping, while the new Nieuport 11s had powerful control surfaces.....WHICH MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN MANEUVERING (Four Years of Thunder, emphasized that point). Gee, another fact that went right over their heads.
Old 12 November 2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

The second segment had broader appeal (WW II, after all) but I credit the producers with Good Intentions in trying to show where GW aeroplanes came from.

"Secrets of the Dead" Guadalcanal episode is an OUTSTANDING production.

The next segment involves Ginger's WW II favorites--the dam busters.
Closed Thread