The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Movies, Television & Video

Movies, Television & Video Topics related to WWI aviation movies, documentaries, television, and other videos etc.

Old 26 December 2010, 06:22 PM   #21
JonP
Observer

Modern military aircraft in "brother joining squadron" scene?

Please help. I am watching The Red Baron for the first time - it was on BBC2 in the UK on Boxing Day and I recorded it.

I have just got to the part where General von Hoeppner brings Manfred's brother Lothar to join the squadron.

Manfred is walking the general across to look at his kite and they pass behind a motor car and in front of some photographers.

Is it my imagination or is there a fin, tail fairing and part of the fuselage of a modern military aircraft, painted in grey/green camouflage, in the background?

It's only a fleeting glimpse but, with it being recorded, I am able to pause and play it in slow motion.

Thanks to anyone out there who reads this and responds.
JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2010, 06:47 AM   #22
Boom
Scout Pilot

Interesting observation and would not be surprised if a moddern palne snuck into view. However, I'm not going to spend time searching thru RB just to find out.

cheers, Boom
Old 27 December 2010, 11:17 AM   #23
Al Forbes
Two-seater Pilot

My Gallery
The immovable Towel

.....and how did Kaeti manage to keep that towel on as she leaned forward?
And why?
Al Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2010, 01:58 PM   #24
Barry Hickson
Rest in Peace

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Forbes View Post
.....and how did Kaeti manage to keep that towel on as she leaned forward?
And why?
Maybe thay used Velcro or even 1st generation Supa Glue.
Wernt allowed to show too much "skin" back then!

Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!

Member of The Australian Society of World War Aero Historians Inc.
Barry Hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2010, 03:03 PM   #25
Terry McGrady
Observer

I saw it yesterday . Thought it was absolute rubbish . It was the sort of thing I would have enjoyed when I was 10 or 11 after reading a Biggles book.

Cheers

Terry McGrady
Terry McGrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 03:45 AM   #26
Scorpiounbound
Two-seater Pilot

Morning All.

I started watching this on BBC iPlayer last night but fell asleep after an hour. Can anyone tell me if he lives or dies in the end? I never knew that Great war fighters could climb at close to Mach 1 either. My education will not be complete until I watch the end of the film.

Yours in sarcasm

John.
Scorpiounbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 05:02 AM   #27
tcrean7828
Forum Ace of Aces

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonP View Post
Please help. I am watching The Red Baron for the first time - it was on BBC2 in the UK on Boxing Day and I recorded it.

I have just got to the part where General von Hoeppner brings Manfred's brother Lothar to join the squadron.

Manfred is walking the general across to look at his kite and they pass behind a motor car and in front of some photographers.

Is it my imagination or is there a fin, tail fairing and part of the fuselage of a modern military aircraft, painted in grey/green camouflage, in the background?

It's only a fleeting glimpse but, with it being recorded, I am able to pause and play it in slow motion.

Thanks to anyone out there who reads this and responds.
Mate,
Welcome to the flagship of the Aerodrome - where the greatest minds on the planet get together and talk about their favorite subject - WW1.

ttfn

tcrean7828

tom

P.S. Werner Voss fan here.
tcrean7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 05:07 AM   #28
tcrean7828
Forum Ace of Aces

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG17 View Post
I just wasted a dollar last night renting this turd.

One, (of many), things that I noticed was of course the Curtiss Jenny with German markings taxing around, but watch when it hits the haystack scene, I thought it was a piece of hay sticking out of the fuse, whats this? An antenna?? And its not a quick 1 second, they almost zoom in on it, and its pretty clear.

No reference to MVR's time in the trenches- no reference to his time in 2 seaters, oh, but this is a fictional love story, based on 1 photograph, and no information on Kate Otersdorf.

I love the HUGE Modern hanger, with a shiny cement floor, for 1 Albatross, and MVR SCREAMING at his mechanic to paint it red.

"The Blue Max" has its share of goofs, but its fiction and has Ursula Andress. "They play Var games together"

Steve
Mate,
Welcome to the flagship of the Aerodrome - where the greatest minds on the planet get together and talk about their favorite subject - WW1.

ttfn

tcrean7828

tom

P.S. Werner Voss fan here.
tcrean7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 07:36 AM   #29
Beto
Two-seater Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiounbound View Post
Morning All.

I started watching this on BBC iPlayer last night but fell asleep after an hour. Can anyone tell me if he lives or dies in the end? I never knew that Great war fighters could climb at close to Mach 1 either. My education will not be complete until I watch the end of the film.

Yours in sarcasm

John.
In the unpublished alternative end he marries princess Leia and flies back to Alderaan in his triplane X-wing
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 11:40 AM   #30
Scorpiounbound
Two-seater Pilot

Thank you Beto

Glory be - I can't stand films where the hero dies in the end. For putting me out of my misery thanks.

Seriously, I have now seen the last reel and it didn't really improve on what had gone before. As for a nurse wandering around the base in a dressing gown, had she been reported to matron dismissal would follow in an instant. Trained professional nurses recuited in the early years of the Great War were almost exclusively from moneyed homes and as such were decently (though not extravagantly) educated and generally 'well brought up'. As such, they were expected to behave most properly in public. It was only when recruitment widened that some of the volunteer nurses might have been rather freer with their favours. My grandmother, Harley Street trained pre-war, served on the Western Front, Gallipoli, survived the sinking of HMHS Britannic (I have seen a photograph of her and her colleagues outside the hotel where the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Nursing Service sisters were put up pending retrieval) and ended up in Italy. She remained 'proper' up to her death in 1977. The German pattern of nursing services was very similar.

I am also uncomfortable at the number of motorized ambulances available in the film, so available as to be comandeered by a party of nurses for a night out. The British and French relied heavily on horse drawn ambulances throughout the war. I feel a project coming on.

Regards
John
Scorpiounbound is offline   Reply With Quote