The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 1 January 1999, 02:19 AM   #11
Chuck Sutherland

On the slip turn, this was a purely rudder turn? Also was the SE still turning or had he leveled off? How quickly did the DR1 get around on the SE? My limited understanding, not being a true pilot, is that a rotary aircraft will go right and up when you pull the stick back and when you give right rudder you go right and down. The combined effects give you the slip turn you spoke. Due the rotary effects happen only on stick/rudder movement, ie. the 45 degrees off center effect goes away when you hold the control steady after you pull back and rudder right or do they stay? Thus once I held the position of the stink stable or the rudder stable they would act normally, ie. up (stick) and right (rudder). If the rotary effects are still in place are they as strong as when you move the stick?

Thanks,

Chuck

ps. The designer of a spreadsheet aircraft effects for use as fight in the motivation for my questions. See the Barrett who are you line!

Old 2 January 1999, 12:57 PM   #12
C.Grube

To answer your question about rudder reversal on the Dr1, here it goes.
Although you would expect rudder pedal force to increase with pedal deflection right up to the stops, this does not always happen.Sometimes the pedal force will begin decreasing above a certain rudder angle.In some cases the pedal force can reduce to zero ,or even reverse.This is called rudder reversal , or rudder lock, and is caused by the stalling of tne vertical stabilizer at large angles of side slip. This occurence is typical with full flying rudders such as those on the Dr1.

FYI

C.Grube

Old 2 January 1999, 01:14 PM   #13
C.Grube

Chuck,
Just in case you thought flat turns were restricted to the Fokker Dr1....they arn't !
I have done flat turns in many a/c. Some are easier than others. Most older tailwheel a/c will flat turn with little problem, especially the Piper Cub, and Champ.
Recipe for flat turn:
*Make sure you are faster than stall speed (really important)
*For right turn, full right rudder, and left stick to keep everthing straight and level.
*For left turn, just reverse your controls.

The Piper Cub and Champ go around real nice, but just can't beat the Dr1 for quickness.

As far as the rotary engine goes. All the guys Iv'e talked to say that the rotary engine effects on an a/c are most pronounced during slow flight / high power settings. Not during normal flight. But again...thats what I have been told. Iv'e never flown a rotary powered a/c.

FYI
C.Grube

Old 4 January 1999, 01:30 PM   #14
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Note the guest listing of 20 Dec from Ben Conatser, who crunched his reproduction Dr.I but is on the mend.
Hey, let's be careful up there.