The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 31 December 1998, 08:03 AM   #1
PeterL
Forum Ace

Amongst my Albatros bits and bobs is a 1947 Bill Wylam drawing. (those of you who think Bill Wylam plays bass for the Stones may proceed to the next thread). Some of Wylam's work is pretty good,in terms of detail some of it is very good indeed. Unfortunately the Albatros set can be filed under not so good. And yet it contains a reference which I have not seen elsewhere but have long regarded pure tosh.
A drawing of what is essentialy a D5 with three gun armament is labeled "D6". In a clear reference to the Dr1 notes describe a two gun D6 variant fitted with triplane wings.
Am I right to discard the D6 as a myth or was there such a bird? Perhaps better informed contributors would care to comment and set me right.

Peter L

Peter L
Sponsored Links
Old 31 December 1998, 09:56 AM   #2
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

I can't really say. Though none of my references mention it, and I have to think that it's unlikely.

I did find reference to the Albatross D XI, which was I believe one of the few, if not the only Albatross to use a rotary engine. But it never saw any service. Only two prototypes were constructed for the 2nd D-types competition in 1918.

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 31 December 1998, 11:59 AM   #3
john g

My only reference that mentions states the following:
"The Albatros DVI twin boom single seat pusher biplane powered by a 180 hp Daimler DIIIa engine was built during 1917, and was flown for the first time in February 1918. The undercarraige was damaged during the intial landing and had still to be repaired in May when further work on the DVI was suspended due to higher priority allocated to other projects. The engine was then removed for another application. Armament comprised a fixed forward-firing 20 mm Becker cannon and a 7.92mm LMG 08/15 machine gun. Empty weight 1,406 lb. Loaded weight 1,940. Span 32 1 7/8, Length 25 ft 5 1/8 in."

Hope it helps - though what you describe sounds different - more like a modification on the DV rather than what seems to be a rather archaic design by 1917-1918 standards

Old 31 December 1998, 12:08 PM   #4
leon_hale

you can find info on the d.vi at:
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevo...n_military/db/.
all albatros types are listed.

leon