The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 9 October 1998, 09:57 PM   #1
Mutley

Okay gang, this will be the last info I can give out on the project for awhile. If too much of this spreads into the mainstream and gets back to Paramount my butt could be in a ringer. Hell...more than I have said will be leaked to Premiere, Movieline, Variety, etc. before the year's end anyway. Seriously, I've only given to you folks what will hit the pre-production press releases anyway...BUT, you heard it first! I thought you guys & gals would appreciate a fine piece of history being recognized by mainstream Hollywood without perverting it by adding an embedded ficticious storyline like some recent epics we have seen, like a certain James Cameron film involving a "big boat sinking" whose name I wont mention.(Ahummm)
Domestic(N.America) Release date: December 2000
European(for you Osterreichers, Swiss, und Deutschlanders & Brits, Scotts, Wee Irish folk, Frenchies, Dutch, Finns, Flemish, Swedes, Danes, Belgians, Spanish, Italians, Greeks, & the like): March 2001
There is talk of TOY COMPANY deals already.(What!? You say.) Yes, it seems the youth of the world may once again learn something about that "mundane" thing called HISTORY that you forum folks have kept alive with steadfast determination, through action figures & toy biplane fighters. Mind you these are only speculation talks right now, but you know how my business is...if they can smell a buck in it, they'll be on it like Fokkers on a SE5. I just hope to the allmighty we dont see "muscled up" Frank Luke figures being stuffed in happy meals. Word of this has hallowed Hollywood studios dusting off ideas of other WW1 pieces. History might be making a comeback folks. There is a rumor, ONLY A RUMOR FOLKS to date, that Universal pictures is looking at a feasibility study on the possibility of making a full length feature on Baron von Richthofen himself. Somebody wrote a script titled simply: BARON, many moons ago and our project has forced the desperate, drying up, glamour film tired idea millers to dig around in the "paper vaults" for oldies but goodies that they thought the "Cyber" generation would pay no interest to. I guess old Frank Luke will be forging ahead into modern film culture the way he did through balloon busting. I think he would be pleased. Meanwhile, Mandalay entertainment is considering an Oswald Boelcke story called "Bird of Prey" for a limited release project. Ted Turner has been bouncing around the idea of another television epic of his about the Lafayette Escadrille tentively titled "The Volunteers". Geez, if this catches on every ace will have his own film. Thats all for now, talk to you all later. Skinner, might need to talk at you later about your "recon" of Murvaux.

Old 10 October 1998, 03:03 AM   #2
Melinda

Dang!!
I really wanted a Frank Luke action figure.

Melinda

Old 10 October 1998, 07:10 PM   #3
Kojack

"There is talk of TOY COMPANY deals already.(What!? You say.) Yes, it seems the youth of the world may once again learn something about that "mundane" thing called HISTORY that you forum folks have kept alive with steadfast determination, through action figures & toy biplane fighters."

Yes thats right kids, be the first on your block to have your very own Fokker Dr.1 with realistic engine sounds and break away upper wing!. Also coming soon: Manfred von Richthofen action figure with Kung-Fu grip and battle scars!!

But seriously, im 15 and very interested in WW1 aviation and have been ever since i can remember seeing a Triplane flying over a field long ago, on our way to Dayton. I think i was 7 or 8 at the time, and of all the different aircraft out there, nothing was more interesting to me than that of WW1. they way they were designed, what they were used for, and especially the brave men who died flying them. To heck with the jets! give me an Albatros any day!, i jump at the chance to learn more about anything and everything involving these aircraft. I seem to be an exception, but your right. most people i know around here didnt even think Aeroplanes were in existance durring WW1, and ive met a few who didnt know there was even a WW1, believe it or not.

Old 11 October 1998, 10:13 AM   #4
Vigilant
Forum Ace

Kojack, You'd have thought the name of World War Two might be a give-away.....
Old 11 October 1998, 11:25 AM   #5
Paul Forster
Two-seater Pilot

I hope the MvR movie never gets made. I don't trust Germanophobic Hollywood to make a good,objective movie about MvR ( or any other German character ). Any MvR movie would probably be just another chance for Hollywood to trot out all the old anti-German stereotypes for the millionth time. Manfred is going to have a tough time flying that triplane with a patch over one eye.
Old 11 October 1998, 02:25 PM   #6
mike_baram
Rest in Peace

Kojak,
"most people i know around here didnt even think Aeroplanes were in existance durring WW1, and ive met a few who didnt know there was even a WW1, believe it or not."
Hell, most people in your generation can't even find the United States on a map...and you want them to understand history????? You seem to be an exception....congratulations.
Mike
"I can lick any darn windmill in the house." - Don Quixote
Old 11 October 1998, 08:03 PM   #7
Kit

It gets really scary when your literature teacher tells you she think events described in "All Quiet on The Western Front" take place in the far future.

Kit

Old 12 October 1998, 02:32 AM   #8
stephen
Forum Ace

Mutley:

Don't wait too long re: a recon of Murveaux. I leave in 9 days! Yea rah! I'm outta here, baby!!!
Old 12 October 1998, 07:14 AM   #9
mike_baram
Rest in Peace

"It gets really scary when your literature teacher tells you she think events described in "All Quiet on The Western Front" take place in the far future"
Himmel helft uns.....I hope you had the gonads to call her on that. But then, I had the temerity to tell my college calculus teacher that he was a schmuck.....woops! No degree. But I had my pride.
Old 13 October 1998, 01:43 AM   #10
stephen
Forum Ace

Amen, Mike. Some of the stupidest people I have ever known were college professors, and most of them never had a real job (i.e., free enterprise and risk) in their lives. But before I go on a tangent, let me thank Mr. Easley for his communications class. He was the exception.