Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > 3-view Scale Drawings

3-view Scale Drawings Topics related to 3-view Scale Drawings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 15 February 2022, 02:30 AM   #1
Beto
Two-seater Pilot

What happened with the WWI Aero documents collection?

When WWI Aero was an active organization, they had a "Master Materials list" of original documents and copies could be ordered from them, I still have some for the RE.8 and Bristol Fighter. Now I need factory drawings for an early BE2c and I don't know where to search. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Beto
Sponsored Links
Old 15 February 2022, 04:48 AM   #2
ulpilot
Forum Ace

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
Old 15 February 2022, 08:42 AM   #3
John McKenzie
Forum Ace of Aces

The National Archive in UK , have all the surviving " original " drawings made by the Royal Aircraft Factory ,...which include hundreds of BE2C drawings .
There are various other sources that have some of these drawings .
Where you decide to source them from ,...may depend more on why you want them .

J M ,.....Not young enough to know everything !
Old 15 February 2022, 12:49 PM   #4
SL DIII
Scout Pilot

BE2 drawings

Yes, as UL pilot noted, the WWI Aero files are now part of the Rhinebeck Aerodrome Museum. There are 57 drawings in the RAF BE2 file, but it is a mixed bag of BE2A to BE2E drawings (most appear to be C type though).

The Aerodrome will eventually determine if and how they can make these and other WWI Aero MML drawings and documents available to researchers. In the meantime, the old WWI Aero website is still up and back issues are available as pdf downloads or print on demand. Funds go directly to the Rhinebeck Aerodrome Museum via the website. The Aerodrome has quite a few hard-copy back issues available too.

The WWI Aero website is in need of a big update...it will happen eventually, but in the meantime, the old one still works. Here's the link: http://ww1aeroinc.org/blog1/store/

If there are any specific details you are seeking, I can check to see if we have a drawing that addresses your specific needs, but if you are looking for a full set of BE2C drawings, John Mackenzie's suggestion of the National Archive in the UK may be the way to go.
Best regards,
Tom Polapink
Old 16 February 2022, 02:56 AM   #5
Beto
Two-seater Pilot

Thank you all. My intention is to build a static 1/8th model of an early BE2c. So far I have modeled in 3D and half printed the Renault engine. I already have almost every issue of WWI aero and some original drawings have been published there. Also the latest Datafile by Paul R. Hare is a great source, as well as the pictures of TVAL's replicas, but still I have some grey areas.

As far as I know, the only way to see the drawings held at the National Archive is by taking a plane to London and checking them there, I don't know if I could order copies. Is that possible? Otherwise, I will have to wait until Old Rhinebeck offers copies of their archives or... ask a few questions to the experts here.

Link to a render of my 3D Renault engine
Old 16 February 2022, 05:17 AM   #6
Brad
Forum Ace of Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Thank you all. My intention is to build a static 1/8th model of an early BE2c. So far I have modeled in 3D and half printed the Renault engine. I already have almost every issue of WWI aero and some original drawings have been published there. Also the latest Datafile by Paul R. Hare is a great source, as well as the pictures of TVAL's replicas, but still I have some grey areas.

As far as I know, the only way to see the drawings held at the National Archive is by taking a plane to London and checking them there, I don't know if I could order copies. Is that possible? Otherwise, I will have to wait until Old Rhinebeck offers copies of their archives or... ask a few questions to the experts here.

Link to a render of my 3D Renault engine
I ordered the "plans" (It's actually just a 3-view, but a nice one) of the Ponnier M-1. (I purchased an electronic copy) The hard part is simply finding the actual item you want a copy of. See the "3-view" section for a post with a reduced-size copy of what I received.

No war for environmentalists! Drill here!

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 16 February 2022, 10:21 AM   #7
Beto
Two-seater Pilot

I just found the "treasure chest" at the National Archives. There are literally HUNDREDS of factory drawings of the BE2c. - And yes one can ask for a quotation to have any document scanned and sent, but I will have to tame my OCD about references before spending a fortune!

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...owse/r/h/C2594
Old 16 February 2022, 10:40 AM   #8
John McKenzie
Forum Ace of Aces

Do you wish for 3 view drawings ,...( I think the original drawings might be drawn to 1/8 scale ) .....or structural General Arrangement drawings of fuselage , wings etc....or Component drawings .?? how many drawings would you require .?

I may be able to recommend you the best selection for early BE2C

I think the Nat'l Archive scans will cost at least around 10 each ( maybe more ) ... you will receive them on a DVD ..you can then print them off full size at your local print shop .

Old 16 February 2022, 03:37 PM   #9
Beto
Two-seater Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKenzie View Post
Do you wish for 3 view drawings ,...( I think the original drawings might be drawn to 1/8 scale ) .....or structural General Arrangement drawings of fuselage , wings etc....or Component drawings .?? how many drawings would you require .?

I may be able to recommend you the best selection for early BE2C

I think the Nat'l Archive scans will cost at least around 10 each ( maybe more ) ... you will receive them on a DVD ..you can then print them off full size at your local print shop .

What I need is mainly structural drawings and plans of the stamped metal pieces that hold it all together. My plan is to build an uncovered model. Also if you have detail pictures of your magnificent reproduction during building (I have photographed it in detail from outside at the RAF Museum, but they did not let me uncover it ) it would be of great help. A zillion thanks in advance.
Old 16 February 2022, 05:34 PM   #10
John McKenzie
Forum Ace of Aces

hello ,
Send me a PM with your email address .

Closed Thread