The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Art

Art Topics related to WWI aviation artists, art, aircraft profiles, 3D rendering, etc.

Old 23 January 2024, 06:18 PM   #1
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

The Red Knight of Germany dust cover

I may have posted this before, but it's time to keep the "Art" section alive. Here is the original dust cover for the first edition of Gibbons' "The Red Knight of Germany," credited to Irving Politzer. He was a popular illustrator of the day who created many dust covers and sheet music covers.

It's a striking, vivid image, but I always wondered about those two towers in the background, and what appears to be an Albatros C.VII. What connection did all this have to Richthofen?

Turns out, not much. I stumbled across this 1917 advertising poster for B.F.W., by the famed German poster artist Ludwig Hohlwein.

It's pretty obvious where Politzer got his "inspiration." The B.F.W. firm built the Albatros C.VII under license, thus the choice of a subject aircraft. The two towers represent the "Frauenkirche", (the 'Cathedral of Our Dear Lady') the church in Munich that serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. It is widely considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city, and shows up on other posters as well.

I just thought that was sort of interesting.

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Gregvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24 January 2024, 02:21 AM   #2
sator
Forum Ace

Greg, I have two old copies of the book, if you find any covers for them that are for sale let me know.
Old 25 January 2024, 12:07 PM   #3
CjBobrow
Arbeitsflieger

Contributor

Greg, thank you for restarting the thread. I may have posted this piece previously as well.

This image is of the original dust cover for the first edition of Jack Hunter's 'The Blue Max.' Interestingly, the artwork was also done by Hunter.

Here's a nice blog post on the topic: https://yearofaviationillustration.h...-red-blue-max/.

And, with pretty pink blushes (borrowed from Leo Opdycke), here is the title page with its dedication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Max 01.jpg (59.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Max 02.jpg (59.2 KB, 13 views)
CjBobrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 01:08 PM   #4
Frederic Mason
Forum Ace

Politzer's first use of AI?? Nice cover. Hope the thread revives long time. Hunter's cover sold me the book long ago. Story was blah... I'd buy a poster of the cover alone sometime??
Frederic Mason is offline   Reply With Quote