The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 31 August 2002, 07:47 PM   #11
Vin
Forum Ace

Quote:
The problem is that NO ONE have read them, perhaps the Americans cant handle the language or they are afraid of the result of these reports..??
Rather a sweeping generalisation, Gunnar, however we saw in a recent thread how one particular American is afraid of the results of one particular German report. *He attempted to mangel it.

Cheers

Vin
Too myopic to comprehend
Fools and cowards
Foolish do-gooder, you aid and abett (sic) the devil
Such a crotchety old man
Old 3 September 2002, 02:17 AM   #12
topgun56

TRhey should have checked all victims for bullet /dna. To make sure who shot them down.

Old 3 September 2002, 05:43 AM   #13
sfabert

I looked up the records for Karl Allmenroeder's victories for another purpose, and was surprised to see that all but one of them has a serial number identified for the Allied victim. I was not aware that he was so diligent in obtaining souvenirs, and it seems odd that so many victories should be that well confirmed. If there is only one question mark in his entire list, his score would appear to be right up there with anybody else's for percentage confirmed, if not total numbers.

Old 15 September 2002, 08:28 AM   #14
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

sfabert,

I am not shure that KA was so diligent in obtaining souvenirs! It was simply easier to get credit for a victory if the German pilot was reporting also details of his victory like serial number, number of the engine of the Allied aircraft, name of the pilot etc (if possible and downed over own area). In some month in 1916 the Germans publicated their victories with the serial numbers of Allied aircraft, engine numbers and names of pilots/observers and demanded the Allieds should do the same for their in German opinion: overclaimed) victory numbers. If I remember correctly the Allieds refused to do so (officaly) because they would not get a fair evaluation based on their offensive patrol flying.

VBR
Rammjaeger
Old 15 September 2002, 08:31 AM   #15
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

Sorry, forgot to mention: There was also an article dealing with that German victory list of 1916 and comparing it to Allied losses but I don´t recall the source and was not able to read the article (in C&C or OTF?) until now.
Old 15 September 2002, 08:39 AM   #16
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

Message number 3:

Like Gunnar I am believing there is a lot more German material existent than the most people are believing but there are some major problems for researchers to cope with. The sources are "atomisiert" - sprayed around the world and split in pieces also in different locations, archivs, museums, private collections in Germany. A lot is available in the USA but like the other stuff unresearched until now. Belgium seems to be a fine place for German original sources. A researchers needs an endless amount of money and time and should be multilingual to collect and puzzle together the whole items and documents. And there is another important problem: the individual (financial or other) interests and the jealousy of the researchers and collectors! As well many researchers (like me) do all that in their limited spare time.

VBR
Rammjaeger *
Old 21 September 2002, 07:42 AM   #17
Soderbaum
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi Rammjäger

Why seems Belgium to be a good place to find original German documents..??

I have not yet seen any trustable references to Belgian archives...

???
Gunnar
Closed Thread