The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 12 May 2000, 04:59 AM   #1
Tom

It's game time...whom among you formities'play RB2 online and what would be your wannabe ace's names? I haven't played in awhile but used to fly as 'Conquistador del Cielo'

Old 12 May 2000, 07:57 AM   #2
Kory Clark

I fly as WWPendragon when on team/tgt, serious server. Sometimes as my secret alias when i'm sick of getting hunted for the "WW" squad tag.

But when I feel evil(and don't want to immerse myself in WWI aircombat) I tag myself the "Rocketmang" and go on a "Melee" server like Spinny's anything goes Mos Eisley Spinport. I then proceed to kill anything I can using only Le Pierre(?) rockets lolol. It's just good clean(ok dirty) fun and it's funny as hell to see a 0 bullets to kill ratio. To me Melee servers are just for goofing around because they are nothing like WWI Aircombat.(not that the rest of the game is a perfect representation)

Old 12 May 2000, 10:39 AM   #3
rudder

I like the graphics of RB3D but the flight models suck. They don't fly at all like real aeroplanes.

I like to play SimGuild's Flying Circus, A multi player game that cost only $10 a month , unlimited play time. Flight Models are very good and they are planning a upgrade on the graphics soon too. We have a lot of fun and play often. I belong to the FTs ( Flying Tiger Squadron) and they are a great group of guys. FC has many regular players.

Try it bring in some friends. The flight models for each side ( allied and Central) has a match on each side. Like the Dr1 Fokker & the Sopwith Camel, Albatross DIII & the SPAD VII, Pfalz DIII and the Nieuport 28. Hope you will try it . I will be online there about 10pm tonite. My call sign is: LtRudderFT** I fly a Nieuport if Allied and a Pfalz DIII if German.

Cher'o,
Lt. Dwight Rudder, RFC
Great War Aeroplanes Asso.

Old 12 May 2000, 09:29 PM   #4
Vic

I fly as LE-Soltan Gris. I love the Spads because with the ping rates I get from South-Africa, getting into a turn fight is just looking for trouble. This must be the game with one of the greatest on-line communities.

S! All

Old 13 May 2000, 08:04 PM   #5
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

I have to say, I don't understand the matches in Simguild's Flying Circus.

They match the following

Fokker Dr.I To Sopwith Camel

Pfalz DIII to Nieuport 28 "Nighthawk"

Albatros (DIII or DV?) to SPAD VII.

The problem I have is this. The Nieuport 28 was, to my knowledge never used by the RFC/RAF, yet Simguild still describes it as "The Nieuport Nighthawk was a remarkable British aircraft known for its speed and maneuverability."

And It's rated the same for speed AND maneuverability with the German Pfalz DIII!!! I'm sorry, but something is not right.

The Pfalz DIII is listed HERE, on the Aerodrome with a top speed of 102.5mph, while the Nieuport 28 is listed with a top of 122mph. The Pflaz's speed puts it in the same speed class as the Fokker Dr.I, yet it's listed by Simguild as being Faster???

AND, Simguild makes the SPAD VII the fastest fighter in their game. Even though it's top speed was actually slower than the Nieuport 28!!!

Seems to me that Simguild has some work to do yet.

Of course the above is just my humble opinion.

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 14 May 2000, 04:52 AM   #6
Mark T

Wouldn't the N28 also run rings around it?

Old 14 May 2000, 07:20 AM   #7
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

From what I have read on the Nieuport series, yes. The Pfalz's advantage was it's diving speed. It could out dive most if not all of the Nieuport fighters. The Nieuport 28 had the same problem many of it's earlier cousins had, it would shed the wing fabric if it went too fast in a dive.

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 14 May 2000, 08:52 AM   #8
rudder

Al, your right in that there are mismatches in FC I wonder about using a N28 at all. Plus, the Nighthawk was a N29, post war aeroplane. I will speak to them about these problems. The DrI actually was much slower than Spec sheet. It had a top speed of about 95-98mph. Anthony Fokker said it manuvered so quick and climbed so well, that pilots wouldn't notice how slow it was. The Albatross DIII and the Pfalz were in reality very well matched. So well in fact that many Jastas had both aircraft flying together. The Albatross could turn slightly better and the Pfalz could dive faster. Although in FC their roles are reversed.
I know some of the guys at SG and they are working on a revised version of the game. But at this time, even with it's historical inacuacy , it is the best flying game out there now. The planes "feel" right. Try it.
Cher'o,
Lt. Dwight Rudder, RFC
Great War Aeroplanes Asso.

Old 14 May 2000, 09:33 PM   #9
Ron_F
Forum Ace

Dwight,
I believe you are a replica flyer? if so, what is the basis for the 92-98mph speed for the DR1? since all facts state a 103mph to 115mph top speed for it? 103 i belive at altitude, and 115 at sea level?
also,you should try the normal flight model orintermediate flight model in RB3D.

from what i remember, SG FC was a arcade game. but, thats from what i remember.

for Al,
SPAD 7 was initially equipped with the 150hp engine, giving a 119mph or so speed. in '17 the 180hp HS engine was the standard engine in production, giving a top speed of 129-132mph.

Ron
Old 15 May 2000, 12:23 AM   #10
PeterL
Forum Ace

Ron, FWIW allied reports on a captured Dr1 give 95mph as top speed. It must be allowed of course that the Dr1 in question may not have been typical, and that the test pilot may not have got the best out of an unfamiliar aircraft

fwiw

Peter L

Peter L