The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 23 November 2001, 10:32 PM   #1
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

Sorry, I mean only the love to Aviation. Yesterday I was reading an old paper reporting the Austrian pilot, officer Staupach, killed himself in May 1914. He was forbidden to continue to fly because he was suffering from a heart disease.

Did anybody ever hear a similar tragic story of unfulfilled love to aviation? I am just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old 24 November 2001, 07:38 AM   #2
Andy_Fox

Don`t know about that rammjeager but can I relate something as told by Jeffrey Quill.A group of distinguished ww2 pilots were reminiseing when a Spitfire flew overhead.To a man they sighed.Thus giving Jeffrey the title to his biography[Sigh for a Merlin].Love fulfilled?

Old 25 November 2001, 10:45 AM   #3
Andy_Fox

Sorry folks but it wasn`t Jeffrey Quill!!It was Alex Henshaw[chief test pilot at Castle Bromwich,Of whose demonstration flying of the Spitfire once provoked the following"by god young man!!When they said I`d need a stiff drink before your display and one after I thought they were joking!!Now I know what they meant!!""]Must have been pretty damn good

Old 25 November 2001, 12:10 PM   #4
WFS
Scout Pilot

I had a distant cousin who was a crop duster. After a bad crash his family tried to get him to go into another line of work. They said that they were afraid that another crash would kill him. His reply was "if I die in the cockpit of my plane then you'll at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I died happy". He went back to crop dusting and survived at least one more crash. Age and arthritis finally ended his career many years later.
Old 26 November 2001, 06:23 AM   #5
Amy
Forum Ace

Hannes:

That's a pretty tragic story. I can't think of any stories I've heard that compare with suicide.

The only thing I can recall that vaguely comes close is Udet writing about flying just as WWI ended and they were all going home. Those pilots were practically knocking each other over head to get to get the chance to fly one more time.

Cheers,
Amy

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. -- Ronald Reagan
Old 27 November 2001, 05:12 AM   #6
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

Andy,

I am not a pilot but I think I can understand the sighs of the old chaps very well - it is a great feeling to hear the sounds of those machines. As well it is not necessary to be a fighter pilot to have a real strong connection to aviation and flying.

I remember very well some flights of Mark Hannah and some other chaps some years ago during an Air Show. I was shocked when I was reading about his death ...

but at least he died flying and not tortured by sicknesses like the common people. And it was no useless suicide.

Officer Staupach would have had many chances to day on another way just three month later.

VBR
Rammjaeger