The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 30 December 2001, 02:33 AM   #1
helmutbrochen

I was wondering if anyone has, or knows a publication or source which contains, a definitive listing of where each squadron, jasta, escadrille and other (i.e. German Marineflieger) unit was stationed on a month by month basis, or anything less detailed than that. I am a diehard wargamer and am planning a combined roleplaying/strategy effort for my social group, with the emphasis on detail and where possible as much historical accuracy as I can get.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
LF

Old 30 December 2001, 05:41 AM   #2
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Hello Helmut!

Her you will find a list of all German Jastas as well as as a list of their aerodromes:

http://209.235.66.44/WW1/Germans/Jastas/Jastas.htm

Hope this helps!

BTW, Helmut Brochen sounds very German. Kann man mit dir Deutsch reden?

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

"Much to learn, you still have."
(Yoda)

"I never said all that shit!"
(Confucius)
Old 30 December 2001, 06:53 AM   #3
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Greetings Helmut !

You may use the website that Volker mentions above, or you may prefer to use its original source: the wonderful book The Jasta Pilots by Norman Franks, and our own Frank "Bill" Bailey and Rick Duiven, from Grubb Street. The Jasta histories given at the website are quoted directly (and I mean verbatim ) from this book. However, you can find much more great information in the book itself.

In the similar Grubb Street book "Over the Front" by Franks and Bill Bailey, there are very short French escadrille histories. They don't provide a list of airfields, but you can generally find out what Army sector that the escadrille was found in and when.

As for the British squadrons, well, the information is out there, but compiling the kind of data you ask for is such a massive task I don't think anyone has done it for the entire RFC/RNAS/RAF. Ocf course, I could be wrong.

Greg

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 30 December 2001, 08:36 AM   #4
Frank_Olynyk
Rest in Peace

Hey Greg,
It's Grub Street, not Grubb Street. It is named after a street in early 18th Century London, where a lot of impoverished writers and literary hacks worked. Check out Jonathan Swift's "Advice to the Grub Street Verse-Writers". I find a number of current commercial references to Grub Street on the Internet.

Frank.
Old 30 December 2001, 10:30 AM   #5
Graeme
Forum Ace of Aces

There have been several publications listing the location of each RFC, RNAS and RAF squadron throught its service life. The book I have on my shelf is "Squadrons of the Royal Air Force" by James J Halley, published by Air-Britain in 1980.

Graeme
Old 30 December 2001, 12:22 PM   #6
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi Frank,

Woops ! Thanks for the correction. Grub Street it is.

Greg

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 30 December 2001, 02:09 PM   #7
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
helmutbrochen:
These serie "Of Over the Front, Lines etc" are well worth the money. You can cut down the many years of research of several people to the time it takes to get these books. I know that Rick Duiven started out some 40 + years ago on his massive research project. It has all been done for you, just buy all the books and you will have all the answers about the German, French, Belgian, Italian, American and British fighter air forces in this set of books!
And what is more, you won't have to sweat one drop! A real great deal.
Happy New Year,
Dan-San
Old 30 December 2001, 02:22 PM   #8
helmutbrochen

thank you all for your replies, I'm sure I will find what I'm looking for through the combination of sources suggested.

Happy New Year everyone

Cheers

Old 30 December 2001, 07:45 PM   #9
Ron_F
Forum Ace

For RFC/RAF/RNAS listing of commander, airfield, general a/c types flown, squadron codes, brief history etc, i use 'Fighter squadrons of the RAF and thier aircraft' by John Rawlings. revised 1993. by crecy books.

its got most of what is needed to look up for the RAF/RFC/RNAS squadrons. i think there are a few errors/differences to a few books that contain info on certain things, but all in all, a valuable book IMO.

couple that with the Grub st books, over the front volume 6 no 1 with the airfield maps, and you find out most of what you need.

tho, french and american aerodromes seem to be hard to nail down..
Old 2 January 2002, 02:48 PM   #10
Droops
Scout Pilot

Now the REAL question is to find the same information for all of the NON-scout units. The Jastas are good, but what about the other German units?

Yes, yes, I know this question's been asked before. :-[

VBR,

John