Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 04:14 AM   #1
tzek1

Gentlemen,

I hope you can help me further with this subject.
There is an article published several years ago in a Romanian modeling magazine regarding the use of Fokker DVIIs in the Romanian air force after 1918. Unfortunately, this article is very unprofessional: it deals with the above mentioned subject, but gives only general Fokker history.

From what I can figure out from the article, the Romanian used UFAG built fokkers.
Does anyone have more precise data regarding this subject? Number of aircraft used, how long they were in service, etc?

The article has only 3 photos of Romanian Fokkers: one crashed, with a big 93.16 on the fuselage, *a group-photo in front of a Fokker (number not recognizable) and a third one with ?3.18 (maybe 93.18 ? )

The profile attached to article shows a dark green Fokker, black lettering on the fuselage ( 93.18 ), natural metal or grey cowl, brown radiator, red-yellow-blue cockardes on lower wing (but not on fuselage) and *red-yellow-blue vertical stripes on the tail.
from the pictures it seems that the black letters are in big contrast against the fuselage, so I assume the dark green camouflage might be wrong.

Any help appreciated.
thanks in advance,
andi

Old 16 October 2003, 10:19 AM   #2
pvernon
Two-seater Pilot

Hi
The numbers sugest that the AC in question were MAG built Fok DVIIs. According to Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One MAG had finished about 35 aircraft at the end of the war but that they had not been accepted. The authors note that a small number of these found their way to the Czechoslovakian and Hungarian air services. But they make no mention of a Romanian conection.

As to colors the photos of 93.02, 93.07, 93.08, and a fourth AC seem to indicate that they were CDL with all the metal parts natural metal.

Hope that helps.
Peter V.
Old 16 October 2003, 01:39 PM   #3
JohnMacG
Two-seater Pilot

The only source I can find for the Rumanian D.VIIs is in a long letter by Denes Bernad in Air Enthusiast #62 (March-April 1996). Colin Owers did a two-part article on post-WWI use of the D.VII in AEs#s 60 & 61 - with nothing about Rumanian a/c - and DB's letter gave much info about post-war Red Hungarian use of the D.VII plus some info on Rumanian D.VIIs.
When Rumanian forces invaded Hungary in late Summer 1919 they confiscated large numbers of aircraft, including at least 25 D.VIIs. Serials were 93.10 to 93.26 inclusive (.13 and .15 were damaged), H.1-196.30, H.4-197.42, H.5-197.44, H.6-197.45, H.7-197.46, H.8-197.47, H.9 (dual control) and H.10 (two-seater). Most of the Red Hungarian D.VIIs were MAG built (at least 26 D.Viis were built by MAG for the Red Hungarians) but some BMW D.VIIs (up to 10) were acquired from German troops retreating through Hungary in 1918-19.
But things, of course, are not so simple. Even before invading Hungary, the Rumanians already had a few ex-AH and ex-Red D.VIIs, the first captured D.VII entering Rumanian service in May 1919. Two were captured at Debrecen in May, one of which was immediately repainted and put into service. In June the Rumanian air unit that fought against Hungary, Grupul 5 aviatie, had D.VII 76.06 in service. Another D.VII served with a Nieuport unit by the end of the month.
Very little is known about D.VII service in the RumAF, but they possibly served with the RumAF fighter school - the Scoula de vanatoare.
If you want more info on the Rumanian D.VIIs, I suggest you ask Denes Bernad himself - he has a message board at
http://disc.server.com/Indices/181285.html
It's mostly about WW2 types, but he is THE expert on Hungarian/Rumanian AF types, and the letter that the above comes from IS seven years old.

One last thing - I've never seen a photo of a Rumanian D.VII. Would it be possible to post on this site scans of the photos you mention or, if that's not possible, send them to me directly at
[email protected].

Hope This Helps.
Old 17 October 2003, 01:30 AM   #4
tzek1

Thank you very much for the help.
i will contact Denes Bernad. we had a few discussions, but only about WW2 romanian airplanes.

about the photos: i don`t want to endanger the board by posting copyrighted photos. so if anyone wants to see them, just contact me offboard at [email protected]

thanks again for your help.
andi

Closed Thread