The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Old 25 October 2002, 05:38 AM   #1
joegertler
Forum Ace

I'm posting this letter for my friend Pat Crowe. He has been unable to sort out problems joining this list. He is a long time pilot and builder of several replicas. (Now working on a full scale N.17)
He spent several months recording detailed information on the scaled-down Albatros in Alabama and they were considering putting it into kit form. I saw the plane fly numerous times, and it flew very well... I'll forward any responses to him.
Hi:
I was told that you were interested in the subject a/c. Jason built the a/c without plans, using the Smithsonian full scale restoration booklet available from them. There are no plans available. I live only 80 miles from Ryder's Replica Fighter Museum, and was in the process of drawing up a set of plans for Frank Ryder and possibly putting it into kit form with fiberglas fuselage halves cast from the original. Ryder's death effectly stopped these plans. I made extensive measurements and hundreds of photographs during this process.
The a/c is still owned by the Museum, and is/has been for sale for $ 70,000 for the last 8 years. I have helped them dispose of some major parts of the collection, and would be glad to help you if you were interested.
If enough people would be interested, I may go ahead and organize an information package of this a/c, but it would be for information and study purposes only since I could take no responsibility for accuracy *or airworthiness. The original *was built entirely of wood with a foam/
fiberglas exterior (ala "War A/C" )and had a Ford Ranger engine, but probably because of the prop used never developed enough power, and a Spanish El Tigre engine was installed later.
"it reportedly flew very well with the El Tigre, which cost approx $1500 at the time, and are still relatively inexpensive." In fact, the Ryder Museum has at least 2 or 3 of them.
Let Me know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old 25 October 2002, 06:31 AM   #2
Brad
Forum Ace of Aces

Outstanding information! I will tell you right off though that I can't purchase the actual aircraft- $70,000 is nowhere near my budget, nice as it is.

:'(

I WOULD, however, be interested in an "information study" of this aircraft. What sort of price range are we looking at?

My thoughts on a replica were:a foam/glass sandwich (actual composite structure not just for cosmetics) and aluminum wing structure similar to the Graham Lee Nieuports.

Also, what kind of price range on the engines you have?

Brad

No war for environmentalists! Drill here!

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 25 October 2002, 06:39 AM   #3
Brad
Forum Ace of Aces

p.s. does Pat have an email address that he would allow you to share with me? If so, please send me a private message- I doubt he would want it posted publicly.

Brad

No war for environmentalists! Drill here!

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 25 October 2002, 07:24 AM   #4
joegertler
Forum Ace

Hi Brad;
I think it would be a very sensible and fun project.
I'm assuming that the price of the one for sale reflects payment for all the time and research to do that project and build it and get paid for all the hours in the project. So building it yourself, should be very affordable. Especially now that most of the research has been done and with the knowledge that the plane seemed to fly so well. I saw it do some rolls and a loop or two...Seemed pretty reponsive without being *overly sensitive.
I forwarded your email to Pat and I'm sure you'll hear from him quickly. If you can help him get his settings sorted out enough to join and log on to theaerodrome forum, he would have a lot of useful information and help. And he would certainly enjoy a great many of the forum topics, himself.