Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Old 22 October 2002, 07:24 PM   #1
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Greetings all:

In cooperation with my Local IPMS club and *a members website, let me invite you to visit

http://us-aircraft.com/walk/Lawsoncollection.htm

The fellow by the 3/4 Albatros D.Va is me 40 lbs heavier in 1998. I'm a modeler so please excuse the shots of my work space. *The rest are all flying replicas. *If your interested I'll identify them. *Best to all. Stephen
Sponsored Links
Old 23 October 2002, 03:54 AM   #2
wolfenbill
Forum Ace

Stephen,

What is the Lawson collection? And where is it located? From the photos of the mountains in the background, the clear blue skies, and my general guessing ----------- it looks like somewhere in California. Is that a full scale Tripe (my favorite)?

Bill
Old 23 October 2002, 05:20 AM   #3
wolfenbill
Forum Ace

Stupid here just realized that the Lawson collection is probably your photo collection. So where were you to take all these nice aircraft photos. That's quite a collection of WWI aircraft. Who, what, when, where???
Old 23 October 2002, 09:59 AM   #4
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Greetings Wolfenbill:

Most of these are taken at Guntersville Alabama in 1992 & again in 1998 when the Lafayette Foundation purchased the Eberle Fokker Dr.I, 2 @ SE(Tallini and one other) and the Sopwith Pup. The Blue Fokker D.VII is 'Aquarius' built by our founder Dr. James J. Parks. *Aquarius was Mrs. Jane Parks birth sign and it duplicates the profile of the Rocky Mtn. here in Colorado, where we're based. *The Berthold Fokker D.VII is the one *at Champlin, (see C&C Int Vol.24, #2 1993 for its history) and the red & white polka dotted tailed D.VII is the original from Palen's collection. *The Snipe and SE.5a and Spad are from Champlin as well. The Sop & Fok Tripes together were parked near Balboa park in San Diego in 1972-3. *More?

After most of the legal hassles were dealt with *the Ryder Aerodrome began to sell their aircraft in 1998. *We arrived in late Nov.1998 and many of the aircraft were available for our perusal. The Dr.I in flight is the Eberle Triplane (Frank Ryder's favorite to fly) in the skies over Colorado in 1999. *The 83 year old pilot is our own Maury (Baron von)Quick. *Also the 1/3 scale *lil Princess in the nose shot of the Lafayette Foundation's D.VII is my youngest of 5 and only daughter - Dani.

See one of our Se 5a type at:
http://us-aircraft.com/walk/se5a.htm
Old 23 October 2002, 01:54 PM   #5
Brad
Forum Ace

More info on the Albatross PLEASE!!!!

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 23 October 2002, 05:35 PM   #6
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Quote:
More info on the Albatros PLEASE!!!!
The 3/4 Albatros D.Va serialed N17DV was built by J.Petroelje and delivered to Ryder's Aerodrome Guntersville in early 1993. *You'll notice that its in the basic colors of Jasta 63. *Though the crosses are questionable for this unit and its Alb.D.Va types. *I am unaware of it present location and owner.
Old 24 October 2002, 05:14 AM   #7
Brad
Forum Ace

Quote:

The 3/4 Albatros D.Va serialed N17DV was built by J.Petroelje and delivered to Ryder's Aerodrome un Guntersville in early 1993. *You'll notice that its in the basic colors of Jasta 63. *Though the crosses are questionable for this unit and its Alb.D.Va types. *I am unaware of it present location and owner.
Do you have any idea how I might contact J. Petroelje? *Does he (she?) perhaps have any drawings/construction details? *What kind of engine did it use?

Thanks!

Brad
(I want an Albatross VERY badly, even though I'm in the final design stages for an Eindecker ultralight!)

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 24 October 2002, 06:49 AM   #8
wolfenbill
Forum Ace

Brad - somebody wants to talk Eindecker ultralights with you -- see "Airworthy Fokker E.III 422/15" on the Replica Aircraft list.

Stephen - may I put a link to the Lafayette Foundation website on the Vintage Aviation Historical Foundation website?

Great photos and thank you for identifying some of them. If you have the time and inclination to identify the other photos, I would be much obliged !!
Old 24 October 2002, 09:54 AM   #9
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Quote:
Do you have any idea how I might contact J. Petroelje? *Does he (she?) perhaps have any drawings/construction details? *What kind of engine did it use? Thanks!
Brad
I remember the motor in that Albatros was an 'El Tigre' and at that time you could but them all day long for $1500.00 @. They tend to crack at the cylinders under heat induced stress

I don't know how to contact him. I'm sure he has or had the construction details as he built it himself.
Old 25 October 2002, 11:03 PM   #10
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Greeting all:

I had an inquiry offline about the Halberstadt CL.II replica 'Katz n Jammer Kidz' *Here was my answer. No, the car radiators on each side of the nose cowling are not functional. They were added to hide the the Lycoming engine heads. Someone *said 'hey, they used to put radiators on some WWI 2 seaters and no-one will everknow the difference.'