The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Old 8 May 2002, 11:45 AM   #1
terry

While checking out the message forum on the Victoria Cross website, I noted that there was a discussion about a Brit member of the Special Boat Service being nominated for the US Medal of Honor for saving some US lives recently in Afghanistan. I know that the Medal of Honor can be awarded to foreigners (indeed, nearly 60 Canadians have won it) but a person has to be a member of the US armed forces.
Can I assume that this article is just some artistic license by an uninformed member of the media?

Old 8 May 2002, 12:36 PM   #2
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

The ONLY consistency in the MoH's history is gross inconsistency. Exceptions, exemptions, waivers, and just plain "Why not?" have been good enough to ignore statutory requirements from Then til Now. As to foreign recipients, the various Allied "unknowns" have been presented the medal, and I think it's possible that a foreign troop serving with the US in some joint/exchange capacity might be considered for it.
Shameless Hype Dept: watch this space for Smithsonian Press' fall release, "Above & Beyond: the Aviation Medals of Honor."
Old 8 May 2002, 01:29 PM   #3
terry

Yes, Barrett, I think the article stated that because the SBS guy was "under American command" during the mission, that allows the award. I don't know...
Still haven't heard any more about the two proposed SAS VC's, except rumblings that they will never happen for various "political" reasons. Ain't life grand?

Old 10 May 2002, 01:45 PM   #4
leo
Rest in Peace

I think the Irish-American community might frown upon the SAS receiving any US decoration. I presume thet is the political pressure that Terry speaks of.
Old 11 May 2002, 07:10 AM   #5
john_g
Scout Pilot

Why should the the Irish-American community frown upon the SAS receiving any US decoration. If British Armed Forces are being used, as far as I can see to do the work the Americans do not want to do themselves, if any of them deserve to receive an American award then it should be awarded on merit. Lets face it the IRA were our terrorists in our back garden blowing up and maiming British citizens, a bit more backing from the US and we would not have lost as many civilians as we did.
If the Americans want our troops to risk life and limb with no recognition. Then I suggest that our goverment withdraws our boys and the US asks the Irish goverment to send thier combats forces, regular and non-regular in place of the British military. I know which one I would rely on.
Old 12 May 2002, 04:54 PM   #6
leo
Rest in Peace

Many Irish Americans in the US, rightly ot wrongly, look at the SAS as a bunch of murdering cut throats who did some of their own killing of women, children, and other innocents. That is the reputation which that group has. I am not inventing it, and don't necessatily sopport that view. I only report it for your consideration. I think that the SAS is sometimes confused with the Para regiment that was involved in Derry in 1969.
Old 13 May 2002, 07:48 AM   #7
john_g
Scout Pilot

I note your remarks, the SAS/SBS may or may not have been involved in Northern Ireland. The Para's were, and it is worth reminding all that they went in, as did the rest of British Forces, to keep the two side's from killing each other. In stead they (The Britsh Forces) became the meat in the sandwich, the para's did not go into Londonderry, mindlessly murdering and pillageing the locals. Ask yourself this, why is it that McGuinnes is not prepared to answer fully the questions of his involment in the parade that day, he was the local commander of the IRA. A terrorist organisation if ever ther was one. It is interesting to note Irish American views on this incedent and compare it with what is presently going on else where in world now.
Old 13 May 2002, 08:13 AM   #8
leo
Rest in Peace

I know the difference between the Paras and the SAS. I was reporting the views and attitudes of many in the Irish American Community. As to what happened on 1-31-69 with the Paras, I wasn't there. I don't know what happened. The reports I read did nothing to bring honor to the Paras or the British Army.
Old 14 May 2002, 10:38 AM   #9
terry

Leo,
Isn't it amazing how we wander off topic in these threads! I guess that's what makes them interesting.
The whole SAS vs IRA question is a good example of who is right vs. who is wrong. Depends on your point of view. Sure the SAS are trigger pullers sent in to do the nasty work. Then again, I wouldn't trust Gerry Adams and the IRA as far as I could spit.It seems that while both sides were dragging their feet when it came to disarming, the IRA were much more guilty than their Protestant counterparts, at least according to the observers who were trying to sort the whole mess out.
As a Canadian, I find it hard to fathom how religion can be used by some of the people of Northern Ireland as an excuse for barbarous behaviour. I don't even know what religion most of my friends and acquaintances are, and I couldn't care less!

Old 14 May 2002, 03:38 PM   #10
leo
Rest in Peace

Terry:
Thanks for your reply. Religion isn't that big a deal for me either. I hope the problems in Norhern Ireland can be settled. I've been there and found both traditions to be interesting. We celebrate March 17 and July 12 here in some fashion.

I was in Canada for a wekend about three weeks ago. Toronto is a good visit.

leo