Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Old 14 February 2002, 04:55 AM   #1
terry

I recently was glancing through my 1985 copy of Toliver and Constable's "Fighter Aces" and noted that several flyers who we now know were not American were included on the US list. For example the Canadian naval aces John Malone and Stan Rosevear are there. However, my attention was drawn to Maj. Alan Machin Wilkinson, DSO & Bar (19 victories)
Nowadays he is rightly listed as British, but my question is why did he appear on 1960-70 era listings as American?Any of our more knowledgeable forumites out there have any idea?

Old 3 March 2002, 07:33 PM   #2
Amy
Forum Ace

Hi Terry:

I've found a couple of refrences to Major Wilkinson in the Cross & Cockade Journals (Winter 1963 & Autumn 1975). In both instances, Wilkinson is included with the RFC No. 24 Sq. and NO mention of him being "American". From reading these journals, it's rightly assumed that Wilkinson is British and nothing else.

You've got me as how he switched nationalities in the 60s/70s--it didn't come from C & C. ???

Cheers,
Amy

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. -- Ronald Reagan
Old 4 March 2002, 05:24 AM   #3
terry

Thanks, Amy. The nationality question is one that always interests me, and as Hugh and others have pointed out, it is never easily answered. Witness the debate over Mannock, McCudden (although I have never figured out why), etc.
One of my favourites, aside from my never-ending battle to get Harold Hartney placed on the Canadian list, is Emile Lussier. Born in the US to Canadian parents; moved back to Canada as a youngster; joined up here; never considered himself to be an American ace until according to Over The Front he was informed by US authorities after the war; lived most of his life in the US; served in the RCAF in WW2; and, finally, in a letter to StewartTaylor, specifically requested that he be included in his history (sadly never written) of Canadian aces!
Just to balance things out, I find no reason for Camille Lagesse to be included on the Canadian list. I have never found any connection to Canada for him.