Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > No Man's Land > Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Threads related to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Old 11 November 2003, 02:04 AM   #1
Whosaidrats
Observer

A friend with connections in Albany tells me that there is big trouble at the Rhinebeck Aerodrome museum, that it might be closed down by the NY State attorney general for improper practices. Don't know many details, but supposedly the place was closed down by the police this past weekend for some kind of investigation. Apparently some of the board members have been taking actions inappropriate to the running of the place, trying to drive out the old guard and take over with their own people. Anybody from up there on this forum who could clarify what's going on?

Added 10-05-04: Please see www.saveoldrhinebeck.org for more info, and more concise info. Thank you

Last edited by Whosaidrats; 6 October 2004 at 07:55 PM.
Whosaidrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11 November 2003, 05:15 AM   #2
ONEALM
Forum Ace

Contributor

My Gallery
The best clarification you can get from this whole sad situation is - wait and see what shakes out. It's w-a-y too complicated to discuss here and probably not in the best interests of the Aerodrome to do so anyway.

The best thing that could happen in my opinion, is that the state get their nose in their and see what the current board of directors is doing.

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark....Stay tuned.....
ONEALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2003, 07:08 AM   #3
pmirl
Scout Pilot

Good answer, Michael!

Like you said, let's wait it out and see. Nothing worse than rumor control at a time like this.

As soon as it is officially announced as to what happpened, someone will let us know.

Paul
Old 11 November 2003, 10:20 AM   #4
Tailspin
Two-seater Pilot

Can't add anything. Just wanted to say that I was up there this past summer and my family and I had a wonderful time. Hope eveerything works out well.

Tom
Tailspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2003, 01:28 PM   #5
Laserlloyd
Fokker Dr.I Ace

Contributor

Psssst.....I saw Snooppy do it in hanger with a monkey wrench. :-X :-X

Fokker Dr.I Photo Web Site At FokkerDr1.com Now Join us on Facebook
This site is dedicated to document the pictorial history of all 320 Fokker Dr.I's built during World War I and the fighter pilot Manfred Von Richthofen also known as The "Red Baron"
Laserlloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2003, 02:44 PM   #6
baldeagle
Forum Ace

I think that this might be a good place for this Mike, too many things have happened up there in the last few years that nobody ever heard about, and there are a lot of people here who care about the place. I was a member when the non-profit was set up, but gave it up because of questions about how things were being run. For instance, how can they have a board of directors for a non-profit who have no term limits and no elections, and so nobody to be accountable to? Maybe it's time that more members started asking questions.
When I was growing up there it was like a family getting together every weekend all summer. I haven't been there much the last couple of years but I'm sure it's been many years since it was like I remember it.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2003, 05:34 AM   #7
ONEALM
Forum Ace

Contributor

My Gallery
Andy -

I've spent alot of time up there in the last couple of years and and more than a few hours getting the situation straight from those involved. My point is that what I "know" may or may not be entirely true - whatever is - but you are right on target with the question about the Board. That's always been an issue and I think that's why the State is now involved.

In NJ, you have to submit your by-laws for review to theoretically prevent just such a problem as is now happening at ORA. Board members without term limits, ill-defined responsibilities, no limits on authoritys, ability to fire or hire without reason or cause. I could put together a list of 50 points in a hurry and I am really not even directly involved. I expect the old-timers - like Dad, Dave, Ken and Jim could spell it out chapter and verse.

Just a straw poll for others on this thread - how many are dues paying members of ORA ? Maybe we should get a petition together and add it to the pile of documentation the State Atty General is getting. It would add some weight to the arguments being raised by those at ORA not on the board and make it look less like they are just whining. Anyone who knows the situation knows they are not, but a little extra support would never hurt.

You're right Andy - if we want to see ORA stay together, we should stand up as a group.

Now - where are the other ORA members here ?

-Mike

ONEALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2003, 05:52 AM   #8
Russell Smith
Forum Ace

My Gallery
I'm not a member (I know, Mike, I know...I should be!), but if joining and voicing my opinion would benefit ORA, then show me dotted line.

Russ
Facebook: Russell Smith Studios

Russell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2003, 07:13 AM   #9
Byron

Does this, perchance, have anything to do with the new director who came aboard there a few years ago?

Just curious.

Byron
Old 12 November 2003, 08:23 AM   #10
Tailspin
Two-seater Pilot

Hey Mike,

I'm interested in helping out too. I'm in procurement for the army. If I can be of service, let me know.

Tom
Tailspin is offline   Reply With Quote