Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Topics related to WWI aviation authors, books and magazines

Closed Thread

Old 3 February 2004, 06:20 AM   #1
stephen
Forum Ace

Just saw this film the other night. Obviously, this is not a WWI film with a love story. Its a love story that happens to be set in WWI. Its the whole "Hemingway gets dumped by his chick" thing. It moves PAINFULLY slow. Soap opera watchers will enjoy watching this film as soon as they get out bed early in the afternoon to cash their welfare checks.

However, two things made the film watchable, and even (somewhat) enjoyable for me:

1) The setting in Italy was well done. Its WWI eye candy everywhere you look. The old towns, villages, medical camps and hospitals. I love anything that takes me back to WWI.

2) I'm fascinated with wartime romances. In times like that - times which most of us have never seen - relationships seem to progress at light speed. There's an immediacy and urgency to wartime romances that most of us can never understand. Cecil Lewis describes one such instance in his book "Saggitarius Rising" and I found it equally captivating. I wrote him about it, but he would only tell me her first name and spoke of nothing else.

So for those reasons, I found IN LOVE AND WAR a fascinating glimpse into WWI that few other films offer. That said, I probably won't see it again. Next time I'll opt for something where people get shot.
Sponsored Links
Old 3 February 2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Sandra Bullock is way cute.
But we already knew that.
"Love & War" has some combat, IIRC, including a glimpse of a Schwarzlose (sp?) emma-gee among the Austrians. Gotta love attention to detail.

Break-break

Hey, ev'ry compilation of Great War casualties I've seen indicates the Austro-Hungarians sustained 90% casualties. How dat possible? I can only surmise they counted illness as casualties.
Old 4 February 2004, 07:37 PM   #3
Roundel
Scout Pilot

The film does have one historical error: Hemingway and Agnes von Kurowsky didn't have an affair. They were at most friends and maybe just acquaintances.

If Sandra Bullock glows in the film, it is probably due to her $10.5 million salary for the opus.

Readers of the Internet Movie Database have voted it 5.5 out of a possible 10.

Details: www.imdb.com/title/tt0116621/
Old 5 February 2004, 07:55 AM   #4
stephen
Forum Ace

So were the two truly in love and considering marriage or not? If not, then the entire basis for the film was a literary fraud.
Old 9 February 2004, 11:54 AM   #5
LadyFlyingAce

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundel@Feb 4 2004, 10:37 PM
[b]

If Sandra Bullock glows in the film, it is probably due to her $10.5 million salary for the opus.

Details: www.imdb.com/title/tt0116621/
If somebody paid ME 10.5 million to play a role, you'd bet I'd be glowing. Motivation is a significant factor.

I think I saw the DVD in the $5 bin at Wal Mart, but didn't buy it. It's been my experience that most (not all, I said, most) movies that are produced in the present day that have WWI as a subject title aren't that great...

But I sure understand liking the movie for the scenery. I watch Gone With The Wind just for the costuming for the cast and extras. (The book is SO much better than the movie...trust me. Scarlett is actually three dimensional in that book and she actually is not a total, icy witch.)

er...

*dragging reply to appropriate time frame*

I was watching an old, old Gene Autry movie that was filmed in the 1930's, I'd say, and they used different clips (of different planes...oops) when Autry was in flight.

If you can kind of forget the part where the plane has one wing when the bad guy parachutes out, and two wings when it crashes onto the ground, the filming was ok...the plot was terrible.

Old 15 February 2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Roundel
Scout Pilot

"If not, then the entire basis for the film was a literary fraud."

It wouldn't be the first time. The film Julia is a lie from beginning to end, being based on one of a number of fabricated episodes in Lillian Hellman's "autobiography" Pentimento. Although they had friends in common, the real life Julia never met Hellman and survived the Second World War, living for many years afterward and emphatically denying the story. Hellman was living quite comfortably in Hollywood during the period the story supposedly took place.

"I'm fascinated with wartime romances. In times like that - times which most of us have never seen - relationships seem to progress at light speed. There's an immediacy and urgency to wartime romances that most of us can never understand."

Unfortunately, they can also bring broken hearts, ruined marriages and engagements, illegitimate children, and VD. Such consequences of wartime morality (or lack thereof) were once a major argument of pacifists.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Charlie

Barrett Baby,
You, sir, have made my day!
You want to know about the casualty rates among the Austrians and Hungarians? As a well known German character actor once said, " I know nothing!"
But, with trivia all things are possible.
Say you have a country. No two counties. In each country about 6 major languages are spoken. You want to build an army. Get some uniforms, get some horses, some rifles, round up some peasants. Voila! An army. No, wait, you must have some officers to command these peasants. Where will we get these officers? From the best families, of course. You know, the ones who have married too closely. The nobility have been waiting many years to show how exellent blood lines make one a hero and a commander of men.
But this will not work. The upper classes only speak German and Hungarian and the troops speak Slovenian,Bohemian, Croatian, Serbian, Albanian, Slovak, Ruthenian,Romanian,Yiddish, Gypsy, Polish, and yes some Italian. What does it matter? As long as they are available to die in a cause that the Emporer deems fit?
Each day the Emporer would arise at 4 AM. He would eat pourrage and drink coffee and then go about the things that an Emporer does.
His military attache would bring him the reports of the previous day's battles. The Emporer would look gravely at his attache and say,"how many horses did we lose?"
But one day in 1916 the Emporer did not ask the question. He had died.
The cabinet suddenly realized that their officer corps was verschlugener. They needed some better leadership. After all, the Battle of the Azonso had already been fought 6 times and the war was only in it's second year.
When Kaiser Bill heard this he said,"if those dopes fold we will be in one hell of a pickle". "Send them some of our Prussian officers to stiffen their backs." After this the results were better. The Battle of the Azonso was fought 6 more times and the breakthru' was made.
But a tremedous number of young soldiers had already been killed off and the breakthru' faltered at the Piave River.
"Not to worry," said Kaiser Karl. "We can draft their fathers". They also will deem it an honor to die for the House of Hapsburg.
The Emporer did not believe this and told his confessor,"each day I send thousands to their deaths". His confessor said,"Your Majesty, it's time to cut a deal". "Put out peace feelers".
But the Allies knew the Hapsburg armies would fail. After all, the Serbs had kicked them around at the beginning of the war and they didn't even have any cannon.
And so, it is time once again to run for cover without answering the question and quote John Banner again so that I can get out of this mess of trivia. "I know nothing", and that's for sure.
And I haven't seen that verschlugener movie either.
Charlie

Closed Thread