Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 19 May 2003, 12:18 AM   #1
topgun56

I have question that maybe can't be answered .

Can anyone provide the HP, Torque (in LB FT), and compression ratio of WWI a/c engines?

I saw a piece on tv stating that the Hisp. Suiza V8 had 325 hp and 1000 IL Ft of torque.....this was 1915 model.

I done believe these figures because these engines were running 5/1 compression with very octant fuel.

And what kind of rpm were these engines capable of?

Old 20 May 2003, 02:32 PM   #2
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
TopGun56:
It was not the 1915 engine it was the 1918 Hispano-Suiza Model H, rated @300 hp. Developes 325 hp @ 1800 rpm, maximum is 375 hp @ 2200 rpm. The compression ratio is 5.73:1. bore is 140mm (5.51") and the stroke is 150mm (5.91)
displacement 1127.36 cu.in. Dry weight 632 lbs.
It is a 90 V-8 direct drive.
Blue skies,
Dan
Old 20 May 2003, 08:26 PM   #3
Michael Scheetz
Two-seater Pilot

Please permit me to add another question onto this topic. The FE.2b had the 160 hp Beardmore engine. It was an upright straight 6-cylinder and water-cooled. What would you recommend as a modern alternative?

I'm open to auto engine conversions, aluminum blocks, even tractor engines.

Observing,

Fee 2b
Old 20 May 2003, 10:52 PM   #4
topgun56

I really hate changing the subject....but to answer your question.....Chevy/GM has a really great Alum inline 6 as a crate motor. You can order it at most Chevy parts depts.

Old 1 June 2003, 11:21 PM   #5
topgun56

So I guess all you EXPERTS on WWI know the anwswer to this topic, besides DanSan.

I did find some WWII engine info from a CAR MAG.

Old 2 June 2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Jim
Forum Ace

In case you haven't looked at it yet, I've posted a question on some Hispano-Suisa data plates I have in my collection which you should still be able to see on the first page of this section of the forum. So far I have no replies to my question there, but you can see that as of around 1916 to 1917 when Hissos to which these were attached were made the horsepower ratings seemed to be in the 150 - 180 - 200 range so with the speed of engine development that was going on at that time, I believe that it would be reasonable to believe they were up to 300 HP by 1918. Dan San really knows his stuff and I would trust the numbers in his response to you.

By the way, I'm not sure of your intention in your last post, but it comes across as somewhat negative which is a puzzle since Dan San seems to have given you a definitive answer to your question.

Regards,
Jim
Old 3 June 2003, 10:52 PM   #7
topgun56

Jim,

I continue because the thread was WWI engineS...Not one engine.....And I really fine these figures suspect. A 1928 Ford 4 cyc...200 cu in was rated at about 20 -30 hp. It did have a lot of torque because of the long stroke.

But what about MB and the LeRhones?

Old 4 June 2003, 04:31 AM   #8
Michael Scheetz
Two-seater Pilot

Quote:
I really hate changing the subject....but to answer your question.....
So my inquiry about the WWI Beardmore engine and a modern alternative might have been better served on the "Replica" thread. This I concede. I was anticipating a wealth of Forum advice and information regarding the Beardmore and if an alternative was available that would closely match the WWI engine's specs. *I think I will have to do more work on my own and post more specific questions in different areas of the forum.

Quote:
Jim,

I continue because the thread was WWI engineS...Not one engine.....
OH ?!? *

I believe Topgun56 opens a research opportunity. *Perhaps a data table of all WWI A/C engines could be compiled. *The engines would be arranged by nationality, type and version. *The table could contain columns for hp, torque, rpm, stroke, bore, compression, displacement, fuel type and octane, dry wt. and wet wt, etc. Maybe even a column of the best matched modern alternative.

Observing
Old 5 June 2003, 12:21 AM   #9
retread
Forum Ace

* For a healthy dose of data regarding the 300 hp Hispano-Suisa there is
* http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1921/nac...aca-report-103/
* The National Bureau of Standards put a Hiso through the paces from sea-level to 25,000 ft.
"In the final analysis, war is far more than an extension of politics. It is the most complex, demanding, and unpredictable of all human endeavors - as learned from 1914 to 1918." - from (with slight alteration) the introduction of "Pyrrhic Victory" by Robert A. Doughty (US Army Ret.).

"Frankly, I had enjoyed the war." Adrian Carton de Wiart
Old 6 June 2003, 12:02 AM   #10
topgun56

Again my questions was not limited to the Hiso engine.

Thank you Fee.

Closed Thread