Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 16 April 2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Just noted that History Channel's "Vanishings" segment Saturday morning is all about our lad FL. Don't know if it's likely to repeat.

http://www.historychannel.com/global/listi...07&NetwCode=THC
Old 17 April 2004, 03:14 AM   #2
Reinout
Forum Ace

Since I won't be able to see it, could somebody post a run down of the show after it aired?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Reinout

R.Hubbers, 2004.
Old 17 April 2004, 09:48 AM   #3
CaptainLewis

Thank you, Barrett...

I just saw the program; taped it in fact...

And, Reinout, it was ghastly!

Before I skewer this abysmal half-hour, I want to mention that it was Reinout who, in previous posts of long, long ago, pointed out that our favourite Arizonian, when he strafed the krauts on his rendevous with destiny, had to be using incendiary ammo... It does add a dimension as to the state of mind those soldiers must have been in...

There were no motion pictures of Luke, just the head shot of him (rather handsome, in fact) in his Lieutenant's cap, and the shot of him standing in front of the wrecked Hanoveraner; none of the films were exceptional, except for one shot of a observer jumping from a balloon (probably posed, but at least you got an idea of how those parachutes worked)...

There may have been a recent (2002) panorama of Murvaux-- the church steeple looked familiar-- but this shot was not identified as such...

It got Luke's birthday wrong... it claimed that the Meuse-Argonne operation was-- sacre bleu!-- a French offensive... it claimed that, as early as September '18, "everyone" knew that Germany was about to fold-- so Luke wanted to make a name for himself; in other words, he was a glory hound... lastly, it stated at least twice that Frank Luke was THE outstanding ballon buster of the Great War-- I hope to God Dan-San isn't reading this!

If you want, Reinout, I'll send you the tape, with the stipulation that you never return it...

VBR,
Captain Lewis

Old 17 April 2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

(Pointing above) What he said.

I give it a D+. Typically atrocious film editing (FL presumably flying SEs, Camels, DHs, Nieup. 11s, and so help me, Dr.Is). The computer graphics are OK but Frank's in a French SPAD. The narrative repeats the tale of The Last Dogfight and strafing Murvaux. We're told that FL wanted to be the top balloon buster of the war--something I don't think can be proven. When Frank was KIA Coppens and the top Frenchies already had 30+ but I doubt that Luke knew their records. Anybody have a handle on that?

Main interest is some footage I've never seen: Allied/German balloons and some interesting AA stuff. That alone makes the half hour worthwhile. Otherwise--don't bother.
Old 17 April 2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi,

Yeah, what they said. I've come to expect this from TV docmentaries. It was amusing to hear that Hartney had been shot down FOUR times by Manfred von Richthofen and that Billy Mitchell was commander of the entire American Expeditionary Force ! Also, as Barrett said, the hyped-up claim that Luke was the "top" balloon buster of the entire war.

Most of the footage of balloons was authentic and interesting. The shots of a Dr.I attacking a balloon and "German fighters" led by two Dr.Is and a D.VII came from the German (circa 1938) film "Pour le Merite", and these shots were clearer than most I've seen.

Greg

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 17 April 2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Barker
Forum Ace

We've covered this before but..

With all the experience that is here and the circles many of you work in, how can a program that bad show up on The Hitler Channel??
Doesn't anyone ever consult all you folks?

I watched also. I left early...

But I do appreciate the reference. Every one & awhile, this program or the Discovery -Wings channel does something spectacular, not least of which is the not seen footage kind of thing. That stuff is a thrill.

OTOH - The Hitler Channel is doing Band Of Brothers all this week, so they maybe get an A+ to balance that stinker of a D.
When you stand before God, you cannot say,
"But I was told by others to do thus."
Or that,
"Virtue was not convenient at the time."

This will not suffice.."

-Baldwin Four of The Baldwin Piano Company
Old 17 April 2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Greg beat me to it--the Hartney travesty recurred to me as I was biking to work off the frustration...

The Luke Thing was from 2002, but generally THC's quality has improved. Once in awhile they do consult knowledgable folks (my Boelcke correction arrived too late for one of the reality shows) but THC actually produces very few programs--if any. Mainly they're contracted to other outfits such as Digital Ranch, which does a fine job. If you write a YOU IDIOTS note to THC HQ you'll likely get a Dear Viewer form letter saying "We're glad that you enjoy our programming." That was the reply I got from my letter informing them that neither the British Navy, Jap Army, nor German Air Force were involved in the Battle of the Coral Sea...
Old 17 April 2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Alan
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregvan@Apr 17 2004, 01:14 PM
[b] It was amusing to hear that Hartney had been shot down FOUR times by Manfred von Richthofen.
He wasn't?

I'm glad I forgot to call home from work and have it taped...waste of celluloid it seems....all in all....
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 17 April 2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Rick
Rest in Peace

Actually I found the follow up program more interesting. Where they dug the P-38 out of the Greenland ice, fixed it up and flew it. Of course, at the cost of a good many more shekels (sp?) than I will ever own. R.
Old 17 April 2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Fershure. Glacier Girl became The Six Million Dollar Airplane by the time she flew again. But I can't help noting that the USAF's enlightened policy which permits such glorious restorations in contrast to the bean counters and drones in the US of N who insist that the Douglas Devastator from the Coral Sea battle continues rotting to pieces off the Florida coast.