Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 26 June 2004, 01:05 PM   #1
RedDevil

Well I just saw the pics of the wreckAGE of his Fokker Dr I when the Red Baron was flying and shot down on 21st April 1918..I always thought that he was semi burnt in the wreckage of his red DR I.But what I saw is the unburnt face of him with empty looks in the eyes though the aircraft had a very heavy damage.

As the reports said that he had some bullet wounds in his body.What party of his body? Can anyone tell me?The pics prove that the flying a biplane in the Great War times was not an easy thing.The aircraft was really like "kite"..But I love them very much..

The Baron and the others will not be forgotten and they took their part in the history.

RIP...

VBR-TALLY HO!

Old 26 June 2004, 01:56 PM   #2
PeterL
Forum Ace

Red, a single bullet entered below his right arm and exited on the left side of his chest. I discussed the post-mortem report and the photo you refer to with a forensic pathologist of my aquaintance and she is of the opinion that MvR was dead when he hit the ground, or at least by the time he sustained his facial injuries.

Peter L
Old 26 June 2004, 02:25 PM   #3
VonReichel

If I remember correctly, the slug passed through his heart before exiting... Its just an educated guess, but I'd have to agree... He was dead before he hit the ground. One thing that does bother me though. After all of these years I wish that someone would finally cut through the BS with regards to who brought him down. From the accounts that I've read, while the Baron was in pursuit of #81, Brown approached him from the Barons port quarter and opened fire at some distance (Please confirm this, Peter, if you would.). Now, the "official autopsy" read, as you said, "bullet entered under right arm, ect, ect"... If thats the case, and I hate to admit it, that would mean that the Baron was definitely brought down by groundfire... "Ende"... I just don't understand the continuing controversy. Could you offer your input, my friend.

"Prost!"

Old 26 June 2004, 03:23 PM   #4
PeterL
Forum Ace

Von, all the post mortem can establish is the probable cause of death, in this case a bullet through the chest. I most certainly cannot claim any expertise in this area, but it seems to me that all else is speculation. A recent TV program informs us that the bullet was found still in MvR's clothing and speculates therefor that it was fired from a range of six hundred yards. How they arrive at that figure, or conclude that this proves that ground fire done him in, heaven only knows. On balance I'd say ground fire is the most likely answer, although six hundred yards is an awful lot of sky and the Baron recieved his earlier head wound from a much greater range.

Somewhere at the bottom of a pile of model magazines I have a newspaper cutting on the death of a WWI veteran, not one of the usual suspects but a British infantryman whom the article credits with having fired the fatal shot. I remember I sent Scott a copy at the time. And so it goes on.

Peter L
Old 26 June 2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

As usual (!), read Norman Franks' definitive study, The Red Baron's Last Mission. It's the starting point for discussions on WKTRB. Or should be!
Old 26 June 2004, 06:34 PM   #6
CWatson
Two-seater Pilot

What wreckage pictures did you see? Are you talking about the parts displayed in front of the tent? If so that is after the souvenir hunters picked it clean,or are you talking about some unpublished pictures?

My understanding from the articles I have read was except for the landing gear and prop the triplane was pretty intact before being stripped.

CWatson
Old 26 June 2004, 06:47 PM   #7
VonReichel

Quote:
As usual (!), read Norman Franks' definitive study, The Red Baron's Last Mission. It's the starting point for discussions on WKTRB. Or should be!
"Many thanks, Barrett!" As I said once before... They don't let me out very often. Until now I honestly had'nt heard of this book. I'm sure I'll find it to be an interesting read... "First stop...eBay!" Thank you, my friend.

"Prost!"

Old 26 June 2004, 10:56 PM   #8
pmirl
Scout Pilot

From accounts, after he was hit MvR removed his goggles and brought the plane down. The damage you saw to his face was when his face (minus the goggles) hit the padding of the gun butts upon this hard landing. It was noted that MvR's guns had jammed and that in order to fire one, he had to cock it manually. He supposedly loosened his harness in order to be able to do so, thus upon the hard landing, his face hit the gun butt with alot of force.

When MvR's brother Lothar was shot down, he received damage to his face, too, when it did the same thing.

According to the GI who prepared the MvR's body for the photographs, he actually had to pull MvR's front teeth forward in his mouth to put them back in place as they were also smashed by the impact of his face on the gun butt padding.

MvR's plane did not burn, however an Allied pilot, (I can't remember who) when told of MvR's death stated something like, "I hope he burned all the way down."

Paul
Old 27 June 2004, 02:06 AM   #9
Ginger.
Shot Down

"I hope he burned all the way down."
Who would express such a terrible sentiment upon hearing of the demise of a fellow Knight Of The Air?
Old 27 June 2004, 07:21 AM   #10
Laserlloyd
Fokker Dr.I Ace

Contributor

No he didnít burn all the way down.....

Here is another great source for clearing up all the storys on his death.

"The Many Deaths of the Red Baron"
by Frank McGuire

Lloyd...

Fokker Dr.I Photo Web Site At FokkerDr1.com Now Join us on Facebook
This site is dedicated to document the pictorial history of all 320 Fokker Dr.I's built during World War I and the fighter pilot Manfred Von Richthofen also known as The "Red Baron"
Closed Thread