Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Subscribe to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 13 September 2004, 07:23 AM   #1
JohnReid
Shot Down

I would like to propose a new thread on the basics of diorama building.Airplanes,buildings,structures,cars,truck s ,tools etc.. etc.. both scratchbuilt and kitbuilt in any scale. Beginning with THE IDEA thru to THE FINISHING TOUCHES.I dont know of any site devoted to the building of WW1 aircraft dioramas and I would be willing to get one started on this forum.What do you guys think? Cheers! John.
Sponsored Links
Old 13 September 2004, 08:45 AM   #2
DonnyW
Two-seater Pilot

Hi John, I for one would be interested. As you know, Im primarily a flying model aircraft builder, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't pick up some good tips from your methods. I try to watch and listen to all sorts of modeling from railways to boat builders to aircraft and utilise the "tricks of the trade" where appropriate. After all..we are all after the same goal .. replication in miniature B) . Personally..I think I can handle the aircraft to my satisfaction (never to old to learn a trick or too though ) but would be interested in tips on making pilots and props (not propellers )etc. I do see more and more people in the static part of competition flying, displaying figures in and around their models.. a nice touch IMHO
Old 13 September 2004, 10:16 AM   #3
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Greetings all. An excellent idea. Though by no means complete here are a few reference threads while we work on this subject.

Laws of Modeling 101

Model Construction 102

Modeling Poetry 301

Modeling Psychology 201

Large Format Dioramas 202

The Art of Modeling 203

Modeling Mediums 103

WWI Aviation Modeling Basics 302

Modeling Health 401
Old 13 September 2004, 10:31 AM   #4
StephenLawson
Shot Down

While I have discussed my concerns about gratuitous gore in a previous thread. I would like to call attention to it one more time. We try to be family friendly here and while I am not about censuring anyone my focus has always been that war is about courage and the struggle. That my position anyway. Now on to the mechanics of the diorama. Below is the link to the thread I spoke of.

The Grim Reaper speaks out...
Old 13 September 2004, 10:40 AM   #5
StephenLawson
Shot Down

IMO My keys to a well done diorama are in the;

1. The planning stages.
A. Directional flow.
B. Borders and content.
2. Respecting history
3. The building stages
A. What actually works.
Old 13 September 2004, 11:23 AM   #6
sperry
Observer

I'm following this closely. Thanks for the background links Stephen.

Is this going to include the topic of forced perspective? I have had a project in mind using this idea and I'd love to hear other's experiences.

Basically, look at paintings on the rear cover of Cross & Cockade International Vol.33 No. 3 2002. British costal airships over oceangoing ships.

I have a BE.2 vac fuselage from the 1/48 Falcon kit for the SS class gondola, a few photos and a whole heap of good intentions so far.

sp
Old 13 September 2004, 11:23 AM   #7
DonnyW
Two-seater Pilot

I've never really thought much about dioramas before but think if they portray a certain mood then they work. They don't need to be complicated for me to enjoy . I just love this simple diorama. Typically English and with a touch of humour. IMHO it wouldnt be half the picture without the pilot on a deckchair. Its a model by Alan Yendle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sss.jpg (25.6 KB, 807 views)
Old 13 September 2004, 05:21 PM   #8
JohnReid
Shot Down

Thanks guys for the great response.I really think it is worth giving it a go.Thank you Stephen for the links to some great threads on this site Being a relative newcomer I wasnt aware of most of them.Well , maybe I can start things off by saying that I was very much influenced by the work of Shep Paine and I would highly recommend his book , How to build Dioramas.It is a great book and should be on the shelf of any budding dioramist.My idea for this thread would be to narrow down the subject matter to WW1 aircraft dioramas with maybe a barnstormer or two thrown in for good measure.(a lot of them were retired WW1 trainers or fighters anyway)I also would like to say how much I admire Stephens dioramas, they are very creative and a wonderful example of the dioramists artform .I hope that this thread will help those of you who are on the cusp of giving a diorama a go, the encouragment to do so.I know that most of you who are reading this are already experienced aircraft modelers (and in most cases more experience than I)My imput therefore will be somewhat limited to diorama making in general and building wooden aircraft ,hangers ,tools etc..Well lets have fun.Cheers! John.
Old 13 September 2004, 05:46 PM   #9
JohnReid
Shot Down

Quote:
Originally posted by DonnyW@Sep 13 2004, 02:23 PM
[b] I've never really thought much about dioramas before but think if they portray a certain mood then they work. They don't need to be complicated for me to enjoy . I just love this simple diorama. Typically English and with a touch of humour. IMHO it wouldnt be half the picture without the pilot on a deckchair. Its a model by Alan Yendle
Love the idea! Congrats to Alan. It really adds life to the airplane and tells a simple story with a little humour.But, at the same time, think of how much more realistic it could be with only a few small additions.An old box or footstool would be nice for the pilot to rest his feet on.Instead of admiring the sky, woulnt it be more natural to actually be reading the paper? I know that the modeler probably thought of this as an afterthought and just took his pilot out of the cockpit and put him in the chair as is.But if he had given this a little forethought when he was designing his pilot he could have easily designed a pilot that could he used both in the cockpit and sitting in the chair. Small things like this make a diorama more believable to the viewer and are very simple to do with little additional effort.Cheers! John.
Old 13 September 2004, 09:16 PM   #10
karrart
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by sperry@Sep 13 2004, 11:23 AM
[b] I'm following this closely. Thanks for the background links Stephen.

Is this going to include the topic of forced perspective? I have had a project in mind using this idea and I'd love to hear other's experiences.

Basically, look at paintings on the rear cover of Cross & Cockade International Vol.33 No. 3 2002. British costal airships over oceangoing ships.

I have a BE.2 vac fuselage from the 1/48 Falcon kit for the SS class gondola, a few photos and a whole heap of good intentions so far.

sp
good to hear you still have that cooking in the dark recesses of your mind!
Sounds like it would be a candidate for shadow box treatment...maybe a big a** shadowbox, but it would be spectacular!
RK
karrart.com