Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 03:48 AM   #1
jager1
Two-seater Pilot

Seeflieger Officer

Hi There

I'm looking for details on a Lt D Res. Friedrich Oppermann who appears to have served at Seeflugstation Flensburg in 1918.
Does anyone have any references or details to this man, as I have none- I don't think he was a pilot.

Cheers
Jager1
Sponsored Links
Old 11 October 2004, 08:56 AM   #2
Soderbaum
Forum Ace of Aces

Hello Jager1

I have some loose notes about this observer...

He was born 19 May 92 in x. On 16 Sep 16 he was promoted to Lt zS dR.

On 12 Oct 16 he joined the Marine Air Force as he was posted to SFS Holtenau.
On 10 Nov 16 he was posted further to SFS Wiek auf Rügen. It seems that he was posted back for a few days to Holtenau on 27 Dec 16...
In Jan and early Feb 17 he spent some weeks on the ship "Württemberg" (an officer must do this sort of duty..)..
After this ship duty he was transferred to the Sonderkommando* within SFS Flensburg.
Sometimes during Mar 17 he joined T-Staffel III (a unit which never reached the front) but probably in early Apr 17 he was posted briefly to FS Apenrade before he was posted back to SFS Flensburg as Adj of the Sonderkommando on 13 Apr 17.
It seems that Oppermann stayed in the Flensburg until EOW. However the sonderkommando was dissolved in Apr 18, so I dont knew what function he had after that..

*the Sonderkommando was the "base" unit for the German torpedo flyers during the War...

Hope it helps a little

Gunnar
Old 11 October 2004, 09:17 AM   #3
jager1
Two-seater Pilot

Hi Gunnar

Thanks for coming to the rescue again!! - you have much more infomation than I expected and this will help me with futher research, as I only knew about Flensburg (but not that he was an Observer) and that he was originally on a battleships(?) SMS Wittlesbach and SMS Braunschweig.

Jager1
Old 31 October 2004, 04:02 AM   #4
DeMeza

Question Kaiserliche Marine Kommando der See-Flugstation Apenrade

Interesting information about SF station Flensburg. Do you have any information about the SF station at Aabenraa (Aopenrade in German)? I have been looking for a picture and dates, but can find nothing.

Old 31 October 2004, 04:42 AM   #5
Soderbaum
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi DeMeza

I have not going through any specific material directly connected to the SFS (See Flug Station) Apenrade, like KTB etc which are available in Freiburg...

However, I have collected information from other original sources mostly concentrated on flying personal. So I have a list of around 40 flyers serving there.

The unit was formed "just before" Mar 1915 and existed until EOW. In Aug 1918 is was recorded as a SFS with a flying school...

I have the following commanders of the unit:

Lt dR MA aD Albert Frölich (-)
Oblt zS Willy Asmussen (P)
Oblt zS Günther Barg (P)

I dont have any photos from the unit..;-(

Gunnar
Old 31 October 2004, 05:39 AM   #6
DeMeza

Smile Thanks

Dear Gunnar

Thanks for your speedy reply. I have an undated card with a stamp in carmine with BRIEFSTEMPEL Kaiserliche Marine Kommando der See-Flugstation Apenrade. It's sent to Berlin and says i.a. "...das neue U-Krieg wird gewiss das Ende des trauerheits beschleunigen."

With best wishes

Chris

Closed Thread