Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 3 November 2002, 04:55 PM   #1
dtenney

Hello,

I am looking for some general, but as detailed as possible information about Fok. DVII markings. What are some noteable examples? What was a general trend, if any? Where can i find online information as well as in print??

dtenney

Old 3 November 2002, 05:55 PM   #2
Rick
Rest in Peace

dtenney,

* *Please clarify. *D.VIII ( 8 ) as in your subject or D.VII (7) as in your message. *It makes a slight difference. * * * *R.
Old 3 November 2002, 06:07 PM   #3
dtenney

Rick,

Sorry about the typo.. I originally meant the Fok. D.VIII, sorry about any confusion. Thanks..

dtenney

Old 3 November 2002, 06:50 PM   #4
Lyle
Forum Ace

dtenney,
The Fok. E.V's appearance from the factory was as follows: wing, cowling, all struts, underside of fuse up to rear landing gear strut connection, sheet metal on top of fuse to cockpit and landing gear wing were painted dark olive. *Fuselage and tailplane covered in 4-color lozenge, fin was in lozenge and rudder white. *The rear portion of the fin was painted white to match the rudder's white balance...

Now, for color schemes, the most oft-seen are the ones for Jasta 6: black and white striped tailplane, cowling in a black and white petal marking, wheel covers in black and white stripes and sometimes personal markings on the fuse. *The wings remained in factory finish. *Quite a few photos of this squadron's E.Vs are to be seen.

Sachsenberg's E.V of MFJ I: *spectacular finish of yellow and black diamonds with yellow cowl and possible face markings in black. *Only one photo of this plane exists (to my knowledge). Quite a few of the Marine Feld Jastas had the E.V, and all of them seem to have had yellow cowls and wheel covers.

Fok. E.V of Jasta 36: *standard finish with blue cowling and white stripe on fuse with black or red star on top and sides. Two narrow stripes border the white band.

The Polish color schemes of post-war aircraft are also attractive, Lt. Stec's E.V is one example.

Most E.Vs didn't get painted up much since they weren't in service too long (just part of July and August), and when they got back to the front as the re-designated D.VIII, the war was over a few weeks later.
Check out this webpage for great photos:
http://pilots-n-planes-ww1.com/Central-Pow...r/D8/Fok-D8.htm *Also check out the Windsock Datafile #25, still available.
Good luck in your hunt for neat color schemes!
Old 3 November 2002, 07:23 PM   #5
dtenney

Lyle,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I do appreciate any and all feedback given. Thanks again..

dtenney

Old 4 November 2002, 03:16 PM   #6
Rick
Rest in Peace

The web site referenced above gives a whole bunch of Jasta 6 D.VIII's and also a fair selection of the Marine Jagdstaffeln. If I were do it (which I am not and couldn't even if I wanted to), I would model a Jasta 6 aircraft. There is much more information known about their colors. FWIW. R.
Old 4 November 2002, 04:14 PM   #7
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
dtenny:
The wings of the Fok.E.V(after return to service in October 1918 were redesignated D.VIII, none saw service during the war.) were stained in mocha brown,(5F7) and New true green,(27A8) on the upper surface of the wing and azure blue,(23A7)and azin violet,(17A8) on the under surface of the wing. The stain was applied in a streaked manner and a slight diagonal to the wing chord spanning about 2 rib spaces. The colors are specified on the Fokker Flugzuegwerke drawing No. 33050.
The four panel assymetrical pattern was Brown, green, brown and green, left to right.
The 5 panel pattern was brown, green, brown, green and brown in approximately equal areas.
On the under surface the violet matched tthe brown on the leading and trailing edges, and azure blue matched the green.
The rest of the description given by Lyle is correct.
While I don't have the data on the axle wing, it is assumed the axle wing was stained in the same manner but, probably in 2 panel areas.
This has been confirmed in photographs in the Ferko at the UTD, Dallas, TX.

Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 5 November 2002, 03:42 AM   #8
Lyle
Forum Ace

Quote:
* *This has been confirmed in photographs in the Ferko at the UTD, Dallas, TX.*
The only evidence I've seen for this is in some photos you've sent me of a MFJ E.V flown by Karl Sharon, where there is an obvious demarcation of colors on the wing, but elsewhere, *???
Old 6 November 2002, 04:51 AM   #9
GrzeM
Forum Ace

Dan-San!
This sounds extremely interesting!
I wonder if the Polish E.V/D.VIII also had this scheme.
Famous Stec's plane wings on various photos looks in fact painted not very
solidly, but they could be also simple old and worn (similar effect is
visible many times on the other, 100% solidly painted planes), but one
photo, cockpit close-up taken from left and a bit from above, shows some
"streaking" effect, similar to one known from Dr.Is, but not so even.
Dan-San! Could you send me photo mentioned by you, and also describe that
scheme in more simple words (sorry, my understand of English is sometimes
insufficient to imagine such complex scheme...) - or maybe you can make a
simple, basic colour drawing showing this scheme? In Poland it would be real
sensation, as Stec's E.V/D.VIII is one of the most famous Polish planes,
something like Guynemer's SPAD for French.
TIA!
Grzegorz
Old 10 November 2002, 06:31 PM   #10
Lyle
Forum Ace

Grzegorz,
These photos I have of Karl Sharon's Fokker come from Dan-San, who has identified it as E.V 137/18 werke nummer 2778. *The fin came from another E.V, 142/18, w.n. 2783. *The photos of this plane CLEARLY show on the top wing two colors, and can be seen in the attached photo, albeit with difficulty--I need a better scanner! The original photo is much larger and clearer. *I think Dan-San is correct with the interpretation of the color demarcation, and might be the best evidence yet of the colors listed on the Fokker E.V drawing as not being mixed together to make some kind of muddy color, but used as-is in a camouflage pattern. *Although it may not be clear as to where the color changes are, look to the left wingtip past the aileron, then to the right of the center section cutout, and then on the right wingtip just past the aileron edge and going under the insignia.