Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 1 February 2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Hans
Forum Ace

Fokker D.VII identifikation - Help needed-

Forumites,
a modeller friend asked me to help with the identifikation of the following Fokker D VII. All he knews about is that this picture was taken on the B÷blingen Airfield.

Here a larger version: Fokker B÷blingen

In my personal view this picture was taken in middle of the summer 1918, as the cowling is partially removed and there seems to be an additional cooling louvre for the ammunition.

The crosses are non-standard. I am not sure completely, but maybe they are painted over Eiserne Kreuze, as the Fokker seems to be a early version.

Any opinions? Please note also the markings of the Fokker in the background. Does anybody has an idea concerning the Jasta?

Many thanks in advance.

Hans

Edit: Pilot's name is Heinrich Schmid.
Honestly, I am in doubt about the B÷blingen airfield. Tents on a home airfield..?

Last edited by Hans; 1 February 2005 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 February 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Albatroid
Two-seater Pilot

I have never seen this photo before

Call me crazy, but the device you refer to as a louver looks like a makeshift wind-driven fan intended to drive cool air through either the aft area of the motor bay or over the ammunition boxes. It appears to have a small propeller-similar to the type used on speedometers of the period- mounted at the front of a circular bore. Call me crazy, but that's what I see upon close inspection of the larger version of the image.
Old 1 February 2005, 05:44 AM   #3
Cigogne
Forum Ace

The Fokker D.VII appears to be a Fokker-built machine, w/ the flat early cowling panels. The makeshift air scoop doesn't appear propeller driven to me. That is just a flange on the front. It appears to be somewhat dented. The D.VII in the background... the marking appears to be a personal marking. In Greg VanWyngarden's Windsock Datafile special, there is an Albatros D.III on the cover (profile rendering) and a photo inside that wears a nearly identical personal marking. Is there a connection? Can't be sure. Perhaps Greg can weigh in here.

The fellow standing in front, he isn't wearing a pilot's badge or any other awards. Is he non-flying personnel? Or, maybe his pilot's badge hasn't arrived yet... sometimes they had flown several missions before being awarded the badge... especially late in the war.

It appears the shot was taken in mid-Summer... as these type of crosses were in use then. This machine must've had the earlier style overpainted.

I agree with you about the Flugzeug Zelt (tent hangar)... B÷blingen, in my opinion, would have had more permanent wooden structures, or brick and wooden. I am thinking this was taken at the Front.
Old 1 February 2005, 05:58 AM   #4
Rick
Rest in Peace

Also note that the aircraft is armed. Probably not a FEA Fokker, as you say, more probable that the photo was taken at the front.
Old 1 February 2005, 11:26 AM   #5
John Masters
Forum Ace

If we can ID the DVII in the background with the unique 'whirlpool' personal insignia, we could get a better idea...
Old 1 February 2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Regulus
Closed His Account

Wasn't there a Heinrich Schmidt with Jasta 62 ? Dark black (?) fuselages, red cowlings ?

Johan
Old 1 February 2005, 01:11 PM   #7
Hans
Forum Ace

Schmid, sorry, not Schmidt
Old 1 February 2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Regulus
Closed His Account

About tents being used or not at B÷blingen : see this photo

http://adv2.adv-boeblingen.de/zrbb/b...n/platzgr.html

Johan
Old 1 February 2005, 04:53 PM   #9
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Something is wrong as I can't see the image of the Fokker D.VII and the link to the larger image says that I'm not allowed to view this.
Old 1 February 2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Fok.d.VII photograph.

Gentlemen:
I cannot aquire the photo of the Fok.D.VII. If someone could copy it and send to me or put it on the net, I sure would appreciate the favor.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Closed Thread