The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Topics related to WWI aviation authors, books and magazines

Closed Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 01:47 PM   #1
franklukeproject
Observer

Documentary on Luke could move forward

Every year or two, I check in at The Aerodrome to give updates on the progress of a proposed documentary on Lt. Frank Luke JR. of the American 27th Pursuit Squadron.

This report may be the most fruitful of all, as a Dutch production company has contacted me with what appears to be a very solid offer that will result in the documentary's completion.

Interestingly, the same day the Dutch group contacted me, an American author with over 40 published titles to his credit also contacted me. If it works out according to plans, American Author Blaine Pardoe and I will cooperatively tackle and complete our projects at the same time, adding to each other's efforts in the process.

More details will be forthcoming...

Please respond to the forum or to me directly via e-mail, with any questions or matters of relevance on the subject. This should be a wonderfully opportunity to accurately portray Frank Luke and the other players in his story with a real budget. Hopefully, the project will lead to more WW1 aviation documentaries.

It is interesting to note that a European television production group would ultimately be the entity with enough interest in Luke to put real money behind it. It had been our hope with the Web site www.frankluke.com that an American organization would find Luke's story worthy of funding. Now, with German capital in the funding mix, we will complete the program on this American hero for the European market and hopefully it will find its way onto American TV sets as well. One thing is for sure, it will not be anything like the History Channel's weak portrayal of Luke's story. This will be first-rate and the details will be correct.

Finally, for those who are wondering, it is our intent to present the contrasting views on Luke's final moments. We will not attempt to draw conclusions, we will give the different views their respectful amount of time on the air.
Tim King
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Old 27 February 2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Shooter
Senior Gunfighter

Contributor

In my lifetime?

Tim, no one has been a more fervent--if inactive--supporter of your project than have I. But I am not familiar with the production process in the motion picture industry, so if I do not understand your problems, be patient with me.

Still, I must ask...will I see this come to pass before I shuffle off this mortal coil? What will it take to get to the end?

And, since the subject seems deserving of it, what is wrong with a screenplay--and production--to portray the life and times, to follow. That is what I would really like to see!

Shooter sends
Old 27 February 2005, 09:31 AM   #3
franklukeproject
Observer

Before the last breath

Shooter,

Believe it or not, the timing on this is better than expected. The production company is dealing with a March deadline for funding applications, so this could really move along quickly.

I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of a screenplay on this subject. I hope that this project and the new book will both give weight to ideas like that!

Also, the company I am working with has a documentary project on Anthony Fokker underway. This could be the start of something great.

Thanks for your words of support Shooter!

Tim
Old 27 February 2005, 10:44 PM   #4
RAGIII
Forum Ace

Since I first found your web site a couple of years ago I hav been Looking forward to this production. I hope it is eventually released on DVD as I have NO Cable or Direct TV!
RAGIII
Old 1 March 2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

After affiliation with a few such projects (not all of which blossomed) I've come to think that there's more of a market for well-researched, accurate narratives & scripts than the producers would believe. Basically, it's a matter of effort: if THEY don't have to exert much effort (and many/most don't) they seem as willing to sponsor decent projects as cinematic Canvas Falcons. So if the originator is a Fan such as we are, the prospects for a worthwhile program are good.
Closed Thread