The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 4 March 2005, 11:13 AM   #1
Tmoth4
Two-seater Pilot

Hannover CL-III

I am currently building a 1/4 scale R/C model of the Hannover 2-seater. I'm using the Windsock Datafile as my main reference, and I'm a little confused about the lozenge scheme. In all of the pictures, the undersides of the wings don't appear to have any lozenge on them. Would they be natural linen color? In one picture, the undersides of the tailplanes look like they have lozenge, but not the wing undersides. In some of the pictures the wing undersides look slightly blotchy, but I'm wondering if this is from light shining through the upper side lozenges.

Also, I'm wondering what color the rib tapes should be, light blue... or pink? I've seen pictures of models done both ways.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 4 March 2005, 12:36 PM   #2
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Hannover Cl.III?

Jim:
The Hannover Cl.III machine was powered by the Mercedes D.IIIa engine. The Hannover Cl.II and Cl.IIIa were powered with the Argus As III engine.
A way to tell what it is the water pipe that runs from the front of the front cylinder to the radiator it is then a Cl.III. With the Argus As III engine had valve springs and push rods and the cylinders were paired in twos. The radiator water pipe has three pipethat turn down from the main pipe to each of the paired cylinders.
If it is a Cl.II, it would have the lower five color light pattern on the tops of the wings, upper tailplane, lower elevators, rudder and wheel covers. The under surfaces of the wings, upper tailplane and lower elevators were covered with plain linen fabric. Cut strips of lower five color fabric on the top surfaces and plain fabric on the lower surfaces. The fuselage, center-section fins and lower stabilizer were painted in the same colors on the lower pattern fabric.
The Han.Cl.III was covered with four color fabric on the fabric surfaces, the dark pattern on top od the wings, upper tailplane and wheel covers.
and the light pattern on the under side of the wings, upper tailplane and lower elevators. The rudder was covered with plain fabric and painted white. The fuselage, center section, fins and lower stabilizer were painted in matching colors on the top and sides of the fuselage as the dark upper four color fabric. The bottoms of the fuselage, etc were painted to match the four colors of the lower light four color fabric. The top and bottom rib tapes were cut strips of plain unprinted linen fabric.
The Han.Cl.IIIa was covered with 5 color fabric, the dark pattern on the top surfaces of the wings, upper tailplane, lower elevators and wheel covers. The light five color pattern was on the under surfaces of the wings,upper tailplane, and lower elevators. The rudder was covered with plain unprinted linen fabric and painted white. The tops of the center section and lower stabilizer and the tops and sides of the fuselage were painted in the five dark colors of the dark pattern five color fabric. The rib tapes were cut into strips from plain unprinted fabric.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 4 March 2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Tmoth4
Two-seater Pilot

Thanks a lot, Dan-San! That is great info!

The specific aircraft I want to do is actually a CL-II, 13181/17. It has a large letter "K" on the side, and the name "Nellie" in small letters behind the gunner's station. The lozenges are sharply defined on the tail, and gradually get larger and fuzzier toward the front of the fuse. I'm not sure if the cowl area would be a solid color or more fuzzy lozenge?

Jim
Old 7 March 2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Han.Cl.II 13181/17

Tmoth4:
Follow the color data for the Han.Cl.II I described. I have a five view drawing in color of Han.Cl.II 13274/17 which would have a very simular patterns for $15.00 plus $1.50 postage and handling.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Closed Thread