Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 11 March 2005, 10:11 PM   #1
radspadmike
Observer

Voisin X LAR Upper Wing Camouflage

Hi,
I'm a long-time lurker, not having much more to offer in information than is already given and glad to get what I don't have from the various threads.

I'm starting to build the Hi-Tech Voisin X LAR “Night Bomber” kit. I'm using the kit's illustrations plus the FMP “French Aircraft of the First World War” by Davilla and Soltan. Also, I'm looking at the Memorial Flight Association's restoration of the Voisin X Ca2, cannon version, although the cockpit arrangement is different. The FMP book says that the night bombers were given a color scheme of solid black (except for camouflage on the upper wing). My question is what was the camouflage color scheme on the upper wing?

Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 12 March 2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Philippe JOURDAN
Two-seater Pilot

Quid.......????

Hello Mike,

Problem with upper camouflaged wing of VOISIN, is that nobody know....until now. Myself I would be glad to have an answer....
Camouflaged upper wing is a supposition...
I have several photo of VOISIN flying and see from upper.....no camouflage, it is true also that these VOISIN are silver.....
VOISIN night bomber are gave as "black", here in France, some peoples speak of brown for fuselage and black for wings.... under I suppose....

For upper, if it was a camouflage, I will do it as camouflage of Nieuport, same schema and colors...

I am sorry MIKE, I was "living" with this VOISIN for several months, without details about this point ( also with a lot about other.....)

"Bon courage avec ce montage" and have a pleasant and "rich" modelling with this model...
When finished, a photo would be welcommed

Best regards and happy modelling.

Philippe JOURDAN
Old 13 March 2005, 09:22 AM   #3
radspadmike
Observer

Voisin X LAR Upper Wing Camouflage

Thanks, Phillipe,

I guess I didn't really expect a definitive answer but felt obliged to ask just in case someone really had an answer. The kit furnishes decals of roundels for the wings. Do you suppose they were applied on top of the black paint or perhaps they were painted over? I like the kit and plan to take my time with it. There are more questions in my mind concerning the bomb racks, bombs, paint colors and markings than there are about the kit construction. I don't have to decide now. I'll just wait until I reach that point and see how I feel about it then.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 13 March 2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Colin A Owers
Forum Ace
Contributor

memorial Flight Vosin

Memorial Flight Association’s restoration of the Voisin X Ca2, cannon version - Please, please someone run a tape over the nacell at least so we can get all those bulges and bumps depicted accurately.

Colin A Owers
Old 14 March 2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Boz0
Shot Down

Bonsoir Philippe,

You didn't copy all the manuals last time you came

Mike,

I hope this will answer your question.

The fuselage, tail booms, landing gear etc... is done as following:
1 coat of clear varnish, 1 coat of satin brown paint (green on top side of fuselage on some machine) and 1 coat of satin mix of paint and varnish (brown or green)
The inside of the fuselage is aluminium, natural or rarely paint.
The wooden members are aluminium painted.

The wings:
under surfaces: 1 coat of clear dope (N° 1), 2 coats of optical black dope and 1 coat of clear finishing dope (N° 3); The roundels are painted with Ripolin paint under the lower wing.
Upper surfaces: 1 coat of clear dope (N°1), 1 coat of optical black dope, 1 coat of optical red dope (a semi translucent color) and 1 coat of finishing clear dope.
No cocardes on upper wing, tail plane and rudder, at least on the manual.
Since we don't have wings for the Voisin 10, I can't tell you what the upper color should looks like, but it would be interesting to try on a panel, I'll think about it !

Colin,

We will add a complete walkaround once the canon will be on the airplane, we are now finishing all the metal parts.

The following photo is taken from the manual of the Voisin 10 bomber. Be aware that many variation exist.

Regards
Alain

Last edited by Boz0; 14 March 2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 14 March 2005, 08:10 PM   #6
radspadmike
Observer

Voisin X Bomb Carriage Design

Many thanks to Phillipe and Alain. My questions as to the colors and markings of the aircraft are answered as best as they will probably ever be. Being so successful this far, can I press my luck and your patience and ask for any information about the bomb carrying capability of the Voisin X and its bomb carriage design?

Again referring to the FMP book, French Aircraft of the First World War, I quote that among the listed differences between the Voisin 8 and the 10 bomber versions, “The fuselage was enlarged so it could carry more fuel and a heavier bomb load – 120 kg more than the Voisin 8. I have drawings of the Voisin 8 made by Paul R. Matt in 1964 from the National Air Museum, Smithsonian Institution, showing a five bay bomb compartment which consumes considerable space in the fuselage. The box art for the Hi-Tech kit shows a crew of two. I'm looking for information that will show the bomb bay installation with the accommodation for the gunner, if any for the Voisin X. It seems he sat on top the bomb bay or stood in a very small space in around it (?)

Thanks much,
Mike
Closed Thread