Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 4 July 2002, 10:08 PM   #1
klumppio

Hi All!

I am a first timer on this forum. A friend approached me and asked help for finding an older Cross & Cockade magazine issue.

The magazine run during late sixties a three part article series "The Standard French Camouflage System of 1918" by A.D. Toelle, Hastings and v. Hardesty. My friend does have part I (published in 1967), and II (1969) but has not been able to locate the third part of the article anywhere here in Finland nor through his foreign contacts. The third part of the article possibly was published in a year 1973 issue??

The said article contains some fundamental data about the paints and dopes and the painting/doping systems and patterns too. As you may be aware Finnish Air Force had 38 Breguet 14 planes and one is being preserved now at the Tikkakoski aviation museum
http://www.jiop.fi/ksimuseo/index.htmlis also some pics about the restoration project at:
http://www.jiop.fi/ksimuseo/current_project2.html

The article would provide some useful data for this project and also to other colour questions of 20's Finnish Air Force. For example (at least) one Fokker DVII was painted in segmented camo with French paints. Some original samples of 20's French paints have been found here (a company paint color sample sheet/brochure) but it is not known if they are the right ones for 1918 period.

It would be great if someone had the magazine issue and would be willing to copy or scan it (or sell the issue). Even the info about which issue holds the third part of said article would bring the search further. For a return favor I could try to help with all questions about Finnish Air Force and Estonian Air Force, even tricky ones.

Cheers,
Kari

Old 5 July 2002, 12:59 AM   #2
jado
Two-seater Pilot

Contributor

Klumppio:

Go to [www.crossandcockade.com] click on Indices and then Article Index. *When you find the article your looking for go to Society Sales then Back Issues. *I see that 1973 volumes are available but in short supply. *You can order them as directed.

Hope you find what your looking for.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *VBR
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Joe

Old 5 July 2002, 03:24 AM   #3
Matt_Bittner
Scout Pilot

Unfortunately what Joe said isn't helpful for what Kari is looking for. The C&C issue he wants was part of the original Cross & Cockade started in the US. Some of the ways I have seen the magazine referred to is C&C(US), while the current, UK based magazine is referred to as C&CI.

What some of us are hoping for is for Alan Toelle to upgrade and re-release "Project Butterfly" (the "subtitle" to the series in question). Maybe someone can contact Mr. Toelle on our behalf and suggest that. I think it would be great to see it re-released and upgraded.
Old 5 July 2002, 04:33 AM   #4
PeterL
Forum Ace

Maybe he could be persuaded to permit a web version if someone were willing to take it on

Peter L
Old 5 July 2002, 12:20 PM   #5
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi All,

Part 3 of the "Project Butterfly" series was published in the same year as Part 2, in Cross & Cockade (the original, US version !) Volume 13, No. 4, Winter 1974. Part 3 was the final section. It contains a very technical and scientific discussion of an examination of reflectance spectra for replica colors, etc. Also a few supplementary notes about the characteristic finishes of various French Spad manufacturers, some drawings of hallmarks of national and detail markings on Spad XIIIs from different manufacturers, and tonal drawings for two patterns as applied to various Spad VIIs. There is a very detailed appendix of annotated Spad serial numbers. However, there is very little pertaining to Breguet 14's.

Kari, if you'll contact me off-forum, via e-mail, I could send you the info contained in Part 3. I'll also pass this news on to Alan Toelle and see what he says. He wasn't the only author of Project Butterfly - the late H.D. Hastings and B.F. Hardesty were also involved. I'm sure Alan will be interested in the Breguet restoration project.

Very best regards,

Greg VanWyngarden

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Closed Thread