Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 30 December 2005, 09:18 PM   #1
John Masters
Forum Ace

Question Freikorps aviation markings...

Gents,
How were the Freikorps aircraft marked? Specifically Berthold and Jacobs' aircraft...

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Old 3 January 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi John Masters,

First of all, there are very, very few photos of Freikorps aircraft available; at least to my knowledge. The few I've seen seem to show only standard late-1918 form of German national markings. The various border defense units, "police" units and Freikorps organizations make up a very complicated topic beyond my knowledge - this is one for Rammjaeger or Reinhard. There are several photos of a colorful Halberstadt CL.IV in Datafile #43 (p.29) which belonged to the Fliegerabteilung of the III Marine Brigade (Löwenfeld), photgraphed at Dorsten, which was probably a post-war unit.

Secondly, Berthold did not fly in the Freikorps. His flying days were over; his "Eiserne Schar Berthold" was a ground (infantry) unit only, as far as I know.

In Alex Imrie's "Pictorial History of the German Air Service", page 175, there is a photo Showing "Two Fokker D VIII and ten Fokker D VII on the aerodrome at Döberitz near Berlin on August 15, 1919 shortly before flying as a Jagdstaffel for the last time. Among the pilots were Hauptmann Loerzer, Leutnant Büchner and Leutnant Jacobs. This was the last unit equipped with single-seat fighter aircraft before the Treaty of Versailles prevented further organized military aviation." The two Fokker D.VIIIs (or E.V's) have factory finishes but also have a large white number (a 5 on one and a 7 on the other) painted the full height of the fuselage side, just ahead of the cross. The engine cowlings of both seem to be natural metal (or maybe white).

Sorry I can't tell you more right now.

Greg

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 4 January 2006, 03:20 AM   #3
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi John,

Greg mentioned that Bertholds flying days were over. His body was a wreck after all the wounds and injuries of WWI. Furthermore he became a "Morphinist" (drug adict) as a result of his medical treatments.

Sadly, I can not make statements about the Freikorps airplanes because I do not deal often with this topic and I have not the necessary photo documents. There were dozens of flying units with 2, 3, 4 times changing names - a very confusing matter. I assume there were fequently re-paintings as well, maybe with the purpose to "fool" the Entente´s commissions. Even after the peace treaty mid-1919 the Reichswehr tried to hide some Fokker D.VII and other airplanes. At least I have seen notes reporting that Büchner was shot down in a Fokker D.VII on 18 March 1920.

I don´t know if August Blume is able to help you concerning Jacobs.
I guess there are also other knowledgeable people here on the Forum but if they are planning to publish the news later then they will not have too many interest to do "pre-publishing" here and to make the information a "public domain" in the Internet. I think that is often the case if interesting questions are made here.

VBR
Rammjaeger
Old 4 January 2006, 12:54 PM   #4
John Masters
Forum Ace

Thanks, fellows. I had a sneaking suspicion that there wouldn't be a plethora of info and what did exist would be subject to much conjecture. Not my mistake on the "Berthold" reference...One website had his name listed as a pilot and having been shot down. If anyone out there is writing a book and/or gathering evidence I'd like to be put on the list as wanting a copy.

Thanks,
John Masters
Old 14 January 2006, 08:05 PM   #5
GrzeM
Forum Ace

I think there is one photo of German Freikorps planes in Weinoden airfied.
Shows planes in standard finish and markings.
G.
Closed Thread