The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Other WWI Aviation

Other WWI Aviation Airfields, equipment, tactics, training, uniforms and all other WWI aviation topics

Closed Thread

Old 27 January 2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Récepteur
Observer

Smile seeking info on Royal Flying Corps uniforms standards

Gents,

I am currently seeking detailed information on uniforms standard of the Royal Flying Corps wore by Canadians serving members during the Great War.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Récepteur
Sponsored Links
Old 14 February 2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Vin
Forum Ace

Canadians wore the same uniforms as other members of the RFC. Is that what you mean, Recepteur ?
Too myopic to comprehend
Fools and cowards
Foolish do-gooder, you aid and abett (sic) the devil
Such a crotchety old man
Old 14 February 2006, 08:06 AM   #3
McKeever

There is an Osprey book that describes WWI RFC, RNAS, and RAF uniforms in detail. I know that RAF uniforms have the Canada tab on the shoulder but I don't think RFC uniforms showed an distinctions. I could be wrong but here's a link to the book.
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...ser=MAA~per=44 http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...ser=MAA~per=44

Old 15 February 2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Testerchild
Scout Pilot

Hi,

Although the RFC "maternity jacket" was the official RFC uniform, many officers wore the uniforms of their original regiments, such as infantry, cavalry or artillery units. I think, probably, that many Canadians would have also been so inclined. Judging from many published photographs 'standard issue' seemed to be far from standard.

Bob

Remembering: Driver T2/10816 G Tester, born Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire: A.S.C. & Aerial Gunner 20 Squadron RFC - my maternal grandfather: Killed in aerial combat 28.09.1917: Pont du Hem Military Cemetery, France.

Able Seaman J McCullagh, born Co. Wicklow, Ireland: my Great Uncle: Killed in action, SS Mavisbrook, 17th May 1918.

Captain R A Sellwood, born London: 44th Bn C.E.F. - My paternal Grandfather - Survived

The Union Flag runs in my veins.
Old 21 February 2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Vin
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testerchild
Hi,

Although the RFC "maternity jacket" was the official RFC uniform ...
Only Other Ranks. Its advantages were lack of buttons to snare whilst working for the erks and the high neck for warmth whilst flying. Some officers wore the maternity jacket whilst flying, otherwise they wore a traditional uniform jacket with RFC accoutrements. It's true, however, that the wearing of the uniform of former units, particularly in the mess, was widespread.
Too myopic to comprehend
Fools and cowards
Such a crotchety old man
Old 27 February 2006, 03:41 PM   #6
GWRCo
Observer

Re - RFC uniforms

Hi Sg!
One of the things you'll find in regard to the above, particularly for the O.R.'s, standards of dress were constantly up & down!
At the start of the great war, you'll predominantly find that ordinary ranks wore the maternity jacket & breeches as normal everyday dress (apart from mechanics who wore the blue denim boiler suit!) on 'home' stations - woe betide anyone getting caught out by the Station warrant officer for being improperly/incorrectly dressed!

As the war progressed, a certain amount of leeway would be given for those 'in the field', and you do find quite a few photies showing RFC O.R.'s wearing the 1902ptn S.D. uniform as everyday dress. Some photies show a plain badgeless jacket (apart from rank badges), whilst others show them with the RFC mudguards on, even down to RFC buttons which i believe was a matter of personal taste & to stand out from the crowd by saying 'I'm RFC & not a 300 a penny soldier!'. Whilst this leeway was given, on 'home' stations - including canada & the USA - standards would be kept up, as it would be deemed not in the image of the RFC to see personnel walking round town looking like bags of sh**e!

Another way to also look at it is within the supply chain. on a 'home' station, the clothing stores would normally be well stocked, whilst 'in the field', there would only be a set amount of items in the clothing stores - such is the meaning of 'supply & demand'. As the war progressed, units would find they would be demanding RFC greatcoats and RFC maternity jackets, only to be told there were none in the depots & would have to accept the 1902ptn S.D. uniforms & infantry ptn greatcoats!

There was also the cost of making RFC maternity jackets & RFC ptn greatcoats compared to the cost of making Service Dress uniforms and infantry ptn greacoats.
Hope this helps in some way, and have included a few photies to show what i mean!!

tim w
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6f_1_b.jpg (5.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 36_1_b.jpg (9.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg b7_1_b.jpg (13.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 4 March 2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Vin
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRCo
Hi Sg!

There was also the cost of making RFC maternity jackets & RFC ptn greatcoats compared to the cost of making Service Dress uniforms and infantry ptn greacoats.
Worth the read, Tim. Waht was the cost differential ?
Too myopic to comprehend
Fools and cowards
Such a crotchety old man
Closed Thread