Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 02:54 AM   #1
Old Man
Forum Ace

Question Questions About Field Applied German Camouflage, Late 1916

I am beginning to scratchbuild a model of a Fokker DI serving with Jagdstaffel 1 in the autumn of 1916. The machine in question was not camouflaged at the factory, but I believe it had camouflage applied to plan-view surfaces in the field. I understand this was generally a reddish brown and dark green applied in wide swathes.

When camouflage was applied in the field, was the resultant finish usually glossy or matte?

When camouflage was applied in the field, was it usually done by spray or by brush?
Sponsored Links
Old 15 February 2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Camouflaged Fok.D.I.

Old Man:
I am curious what is the serial number of the Fok.D.I you are making a model of. There were Fok.D.I machines that were camouflaged by the Fokker Factory. Those were of the July order of July order for D.II and D.III and the October order for 10 Fok.D.I 1900-1909/16. I believe from around Fok.D.I 205/16 and subsequent were camouflaged. The camouflage was sprayed on in dark green and rust brown, the Fok.D.I and D.II serial numbers 522/16 and subsequent. With the Fok.D.III 360/16 and subsequent, including the Fok.D.IV, were painted in the Fokker streaked camouflage of olive brown over clear dope.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 16 February 2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Old Man
Forum Ace

The Subject I Intend, Sir

Is DI 151/16, identified as attached to Jasta 1 in a photograph I first saw in Mr. Imrie's Arms and Armor Fokker Fighters monograph, and which is also reproduced in Mr. Grosz's Windsock Special on the DI-DIV fighters. Judging by the people and foliage in the picture, I am pretty sure the photograph was taken no later than October.

The picture shows a sliver of the upper surface of the lower wing, and it seems to me anyway to be something other than natural linen: it is definitely darker than the fuselage, and not in any shadow. Any clarification you could add, Sir, would be greatly appreciated. I like the brown-green scheme, but would not want to employ it if doped linen, or something else, is how the machine actually appeared.
Old 18 February 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Fok.D.I

Old Man:
Fok.D.I was clear doped completely, no camouflage. Fok.D.I 159/16 had the upper surfaces of the wings, fuselage and elevator camouflage in medium olive green and rust brown (lighter color) photo 20, page 10. The patern is best shown on page18 photo 38 and overall camouflage phot 41, page 19. The Fok.D.I , D.II and D.III used the top surface only camouflage system and the top and side as well. Don't use Ray Rimell's colors on the inside back cover, they are much too dark.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 18 February 2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Old Man
Forum Ace

Thank You Very Much, Sir

I had figured to proceed as if 151 were treated as 159 had been, since they were of the same batch and therefore probably handled similarly at the depot. Special thanks for the color tip: I will match to the Blanford illustration of a Roland CII, in which the brown and olive green is noticeably lighter than in the Windsock illustration you refered to.
Closed Thread