Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Huckebein

Getting started

I am really interested in building a replica Fokker D. VII . I have no experience whatsoever... aside from some model flying kits. I was planning to buy the plans and take a course in learning how to weld. What other steps can I take to get started?

Thanks in advance

Huck

Old 24 March 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Jim Bruton
Forum Ace

Welcome!

Hi Huck!

First of all, what state are you in? I ask because a lot of us here are all scattered around. It is great that you want to build your own aircraft, and that you are open enough to admit what you know, and what you don't (yet!). I know there are some EAA publications out there on wood and metal construction components, and perhaps there is a chapter nearby for you. Other than that, there are a few DVII enthusiasts here- who know more than one can think possible.

Good Luck, and welcome again!

Jim Bruton
DR-1 (Sands) Builders Group
Old 24 March 2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Jeff Brooks
Forum Ace of Aces

Go for it!!

I am also a first time builder, with no experience! and look at my post. there are MANY people here online to assist you and i'll bet you can find someone locally to hang out with you while you weld.

Some advice, don't just pick the fokker D VII, choose a manufacturer & tail number you want. otherwise the plans you will use will vary from manufacturer and production run.

also decide how accurate you're willing to settle on. knowing in advance that you want chrome alloy vs. mild steel in metric sizes, using breaks vs. no breaks, steerable tailwheel .... will change your design.

good luck @ keep us posted.
Old 24 March 2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Fritz Kempf
Scout Pilot

Huckebein
Welcome to the forum; youíll find it indispensable if you chose to follow your dream.
What plans do you plan to use, I thought that Replicaraft was the only one out there that had DVII plans, but he is not selling them any more. I have a set and for the money ($50) you couldnít beat it, they had a lot of information. Iím glad I got them while I could.

Good Luck
Ed
Old 24 March 2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Huckebein

I was going to buy the drawings from Fokker Team Schorndorf in Germany... because I want to build a true replica.

I am not quite sure what I am getting into choosing that route. I guess I will get the drawings and have a good look at them first.

Jim : I live up in British Columbia, Canada.

Jeff: I am not sure what you are referring to with the manufacturer/tailnumber thing. Are you referring to a specific historical aircraft to choose to build... or a replica kit. Sorry I am a newb.

Fritz: Are the plans you have for a full-size plane? I would be interested.

Thanks guys

Old 24 March 2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Fritz Kempf
Scout Pilot

Huckebein
I didnít realize Achim sold his DVII plans I thought he only sold his Dr1 plans. The planes I have are full scale, rereading my post it seem I may have mislead you, I was just tell you what these plans use to sell for, since the plans are no longer available I plan to hang on to them. Sorry

Ed
Old 24 March 2006, 10:47 PM   #7
AchimEngels
Forum Ace

Hello,

just wanted to drop in here since you mentioned my drawings.

Yes, I offer those drawings I make for the D.VII, but you have to see that there is no full set available yet. I create these new drawings while I am working out my planes step by step. I am sure you have seen those drawing samples I posted earlier in the "FTS Projects" thread.

Huckebein:

Jeff reffered to the discrepancies in early and late Fokker built planes, Albatros planes and O.A.W. built planes. I would second his suggestion to decide for any of these types and always watch out to not end mixing up the details that are known to be different.

The drawings I make are intented for a early Fokker built model.

The drawings are no completed set so far and probably never will be truly finished, since "research" continues all the time and improvements are made constantly. You may have seen in the "FTS" thread that some mistakes have been pointed ou and that I double checked them. You may not find them in the new reproductions under way. There are mistakes, of course, but my plan is to eliminate them as new information drops in.

And before starting such a project with the aim of being as close as possible, always remember that there will be those out there who know better what mistakes you have made from the historic point of view.

However! Just keep the spirit up and start your project. Even if you do not use my drawings, I am sure that all the more serious people in here are happy to help you. This of course includes me. Just ignore the others that do not contribute usefull to your project.

Cheers!

Achim

I may just sit down and write another book. This time on the whole story ...
Old 25 March 2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Maxim08
Forum Ace of Aces

Huckebein,
Contact WW1 Aero magazine. They have drawings available from several sources including Charles Cash, Herb Kelly and various reports produced in 1918. There is enough information to build a flying recreation. Look at teh a/c that Rhinebeck flys. Jim Kiger's plans are great if you can find a set for sale.
Send me a message re your location in BC. My company has an office in Van and I'm there every few months. Perhaps we can connect.
Regards,
Maxim08
Old 25 March 2006, 06:03 PM   #9
franzkait
Forum Ace

a little reality, bevor you buy any drawings or materials , make a decision what engine you like to use and if you can afford it , drawings and material is easy to get, but the engine.....
Old 1 May 2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Huckebein

What about ways of getting the skills to build though? I only took those mandatory courses in high school. I don't know how to weld or do woodwork. I am pretty unskilled that way.

Any Suggestions?

Closed Thread