Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 31 March 2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Steve Walters

Leslie Hubert Jull, of Royal Flying Corps

I recently purchased an Edwardian sketch book. On one page there was a superb pencil drawing of a young girl dated 1909. It was signed L H Jull. The book belonged to Dulce Jull (Leslie's sister) of Staplehurst Kent. I believe the drawing was of Dulce herself or her younger sister Doris. I was intrigued to learn more of the artist. The unusual surname helped, and I believe he was Lieutenant Leslie Hubert Jull who is on the Staplehurst Memorial, died 3rd January 1918 of the Royal Flying Corps. He was born in 1892 so he would have been around 26 years at the time of his death. He is also listed as North Staffordshire regiment.
He may have produced more artworks, possibly WW1 based. Does anyone know the circumstances of his death or any information at all?

Old 31 March 2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Graeme
Forum Ace of Aces

Steve

Leslie Hubert Jull was Gazetted a 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) in the North Staffordshire Regiment effective from 1 November 1915 (as per London Gazette number 29346).

He was seconded to the RFC as a Flying Officer effective from 22 September 1916 (as per London Gazette number 29783).

He was confirmed in rank on 19 October 1917 with seniority from 5 May 1917 but without pay prior to 19 October (as per London Gazette number 30414).

I have no record of him as a combat casualty so perhaps his death was the result of a flying training accident in the UK.

Graeme
Old 1 April 2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Steve Walters

Many thanks for this info Graeme, and for your very swift response to my enquiry. I,m new to this site, and to WW1 research, although I recently discovered when researching my family tree, that my grandfather Francis (Frank) Walters was in the RFC, so I may investigate that. Also I just got a book from the library to help give me a flavour of the period, "A Brief History of the Royal Flying Corps in WW1" by Ralph Barker.
I take it that the London Gazette is a goldmine of information on such matters? I have just added a similar post to my original, in the 'art' forum to see if that helps.

Old 1 April 2006, 12:55 AM   #4
Graeme
Forum Ace of Aces

Steve

The London Gazette is the "mouthpiece" of the armed forces. As far as the Great War goes, appointments, secondments, promotions and awards of medals etc were announced in the London Gazette.

If your grandfather was an officer, his appointment etc should be listed in the appropriate Gazette. If he was "other ranks" but received a gallantry medal, this too will appear in an edition of the Gazette. You can use the resource on-line at http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/arch...0&Referer=full

but a word of warning, unless you're a broadband user, be prepared to wait for the screen to load - it's like watching paint dry but not so enjoyable! Also, it's best to use initials rather than full Christian names. If you've the time and patience, it can be very rewarding.

Have fun.

Graeme
Old 1 April 2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Frank_Olynyk
Rest in Peace

The name entry for Jull in Airmen Died in the Great War (by Chris Hobson) states: 112 Sqn, pilot, (4/N Staffs Rgt), Kwf 3.1.18. Buried at Sta;plhurst, Kent. The date entry states: 112 Sqn. Kwf in Pup B5296, UK. [Kwf = Killed while flying, i.e., an accident, rather than in combat]

The entry in The Sopwith Pup (Bruce, Page, Sturtivant) says: (100hp Gnome Monosoupape No. 30347/WD4068) Presentation aircraft 'Gold Coast Aborigines No. 2' (succeeded B1834). 112 HD Sqdn Throwley, vertical nose dive, crashed 3.1.18 (Lt LH Jull killed)

Frank.
Old 1 April 2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Steve Walters

The entry in The Sopwith Pup (Bruce, Page, Sturtivant) says: (100hp Gnome Monosoupape No. 30347/WD4068) Presentation aircraft 'Gold Coast Aborigines No. 2' (succeeded B1834). 112 HD Sqdn Throwley, vertical nose dive, crashed 3.1.18 (Lt LH Jull killed)

Frank.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou Frank, I'm sure that it would have taken me many hours of searching to come up with this information. I have no knowledge in this area, so can you explain what a 'Presentation' aircraft is?. Also the term 'Gold Coast Aborigines No. 2' ? I know Throwley is in Kent but did the accident happen in the UK or were they stationed abroad? Finally, where would I be able to find his flying/action record prior to the fatal accident?
Many thanks again for being so helpful.

Old 1 April 2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Michael
Forum Ace

In both world wars territories or groups of people raised money to "buy" an aircraft (no special extra aircraft were actually bought, as production was at full tilt anyway). In exchange for donating this money to the cause, an aircraft would be suitably inscribed. In this case this was the second contribution from the "aborigines" (aka "natives") of what is now Ghana, then called The Gold Coast.
Mort pour la France en combat aérien.
Old 3 April 2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Graeme
Forum Ace of Aces

As per the article in the Cross & Cockade Great Britain Journal, Volume 14 Number 2, the inscription Gold Coast 'Aborigines No. 2' was carried by the following aircraft:

Pup B1775 - 2nd Lt William Reginald Keast, No 66 Sqn, kia 21 August 1917

Pup B1843 - 2nd Lt P Goodbehere, No 54 Sqn, pow 22 October 1917

Pup B5296 - 2nd Lt Leslie Hubert Jull, No 112 Sqn, kwf 3 January 1918

Pup C282 - struck off charge 1 July 1918

FE2b D9964 - until January 1919 at least

No 112 Squadron was formed as a Home Defence unit at Throwley, Kent on 30 July 1917 and remained here throughout its service life, disbanding on 13 June 1919. It used Pups until re-equipping with Camels in May 1918; it received Snipes early in 1919. Major Christopher Joseph Quintin Brand claimed the unit's sole victory, a Gotha GIV bomber, over the Isle of Sheppey shortly before midnight on 19 May 1918.

Graeme

Last edited by Graeme; 3 April 2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 15 May 2006, 03:53 AM   #9
Steve Walters

The Final Flight

A relative of the pilot (Leslie Hubert Jull) wishes it to be known that, in 1983 she was told by his two surviving sisters Dulce and Doris Jull, that Leslie had been ill in the infirmary immediately prior to returning to duty. The family felt that he wasn't fit enough for duty, and this may have had a bearing on the fatal accident. Any further details are unknown by me but may be recorded somewhere.

Closed Thread