The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 1 May 2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Old Man
Forum Ace

Caudron G3, 1914, Scratchbuilt In 1/72

This is my entry in the WWI Aero contest.

This model has a bit more conjecture than I like, as I do not have a photograph of this particular machine. G3 No. C12, however, would have been one of the first production batch of the type delivered to the French Military Aviation, and I have seen photographs suggesting the first versions of the machine lacked any trailing edge cut-outs. No. C12 was still in service with Escadrille C11 at the end of September 1914, and probably was flown in active service from the outbreak of the war.

Sponsored Links
Old 1 May 2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Old Man
Forum Ace

Old 1 May 2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Old Man
Forum Ace

Old 1 May 2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Old Man
Forum Ace

Old 1 May 2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Old Man
Forum Ace

Old 1 May 2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Old Man
Forum Ace

Old 1 May 2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Lufbery
Forum Ace

Great work, Old Man.

One of my ambitions is to scratch build a Caudron G.4. There's just something about Caudrons that are really neat.

Regards,

"Drew can talk -- by Jove, how the man can talk!" -- James Norman Hall in "High Adventure"
Old 5 May 2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Old Man
Forum Ace

Thank You, Mr. Lufbery

There is, indeed, something about a Caudron, and it is a shame no large manufacturer has ever taken up the subject; indeed, it is a shame there are so few WWI two-seaters in general, and lattice-tails particuarly, available as kits.

For any ideas it might give you, here is how I went about creating the Caudron wing. I began with a blank cut to the shape of the wing from .5mm sheet, which I scored on top, at the point where the ribs begin to show, and bent to the basic camber. I scraped the bottom with a curved blade to remove the angle of the bend, and took down the rear portion on the top severely with a heavy emery stick, making it thin enough to be quite translucent against a lamp, to capture the "single-covering" of the rear portion (actually two layers of cloth stuck together). I then cut a rectangle of .5mm strip matching the front portion of the wing and glued it on the top surface, taking down the rear edge to the characteristic "step" of this truely strange wing form. I then applied for the ribs lengths of .8mm half-round rod, and scraped them down a little once the glue had dried, and also scraped the spaces between them a bit thinner. If I had had .6mm half-round on hand, I would have used that instead, and saved a bit of scraping....
Old 5 May 2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Lufbery
Forum Ace

Old Man,

Thanks for the tip on making the wings. Did you have plans to work from, and if so, where did you get them?

Regards,

"Drew can talk -- by Jove, how the man can talk!" -- James Norman Hall in "High Adventure"
Old 9 May 2006, 09:28 AM   #10
Old Man
Forum Ace

The Most Useful Reference, Sir

Was the Italian air service technical manual for the type, available from the WWI Aero people. They sell photocopies of the original, and so some of the drawings come in two pieces, and some physical cut and paste is needed. They are also in non-standard scales, but can easily be corrected to the modeler's sacle ypu desire. They include a "stripped" drawing of the un-covered structure that was especially helpful in understanding the actual form of the Caudron wing, and many other useful items, including large-scale interior layouts.

The Windsock drawing on the type can be used with care, but contain some innaccuracies and misleading elements. They show ribbing over the whole of the upper surface of the wings, for example, and that that is not so is clear from the Italian period information. They also incorporate several problematic rigging elements. Most important are their showing of incidence wires in the outer bay of interplane struts, and the extension struts: these were not present, and would have prevented the wing-warping action had they been. They omit outer drift wires bracing to the booms. They incorporate under-carriage bracing wires on all versions that seem to have present only on late production types.