The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 1 July 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Blue Devil
Observer

Joseph (RAF), Frankl (Germany) and Ehrlich (France) markings? Jewish Aces

Hello all, I'm new to your community and am very glad to find you! I'm a long time modeler with an interest in WWI aviation, but I've been a little scared to actually try to build some of the excellent new kits out there. Hopefully, I've found something to motivate me.

A very interesting web site out there is Jan Safarik's Aces site (http://math.fce.vutbr.cz/safarik/ACES/index.html). He has lists of aces compiled under a number of different categories, and under the Israel category he has Jewish aces of various nationalities. He states that the high scoring British Jewish ace of WWI is Solomon Clifford Joseph of 10 RNAS/210 RAF Squadron and the French ace is Jacques Louis Ehrlich. of N/Spa 154. Does anyone know where I can find markings for these pilots?

Interestingly, he lists Rudolf Berthold as Jewish (as well as Robert Stanford Tuck of the RAF in WWII!) Hmm... Anyway, anyone who can steer me to Wilhelm Frankl's Albatros markings would help too.

Thanks all!

BD (Michael Satin)
Sponsored Links
Old 2 July 2006, 01:06 AM   #2
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

Blue Devil, I leave your question to the real aircraft and marking experts.

The mentioned homepage has some errors, e.g.

Rudolf Berthold was not a Jew! That is really ridiculous because RB was one of the worst anti-semites in 1918-1920!
I think the maker of the homepage mixed RB with a Jewish pilot with name Berthold.

Further it makes no sense to me to place aces of Jewish descent under a category "Israel" because Frankl fought for the state Germany and not for Israel which did not even exist in 1917! Furthermore I don´t think Frankl would have accepted or supported the Zionist ideas because he was a German patriot (of Jewish descent).

As well Frankl converted to Christian believe and Jews like Dr. Felix Theilhaber -the author of "Jüdische Flieger im Weltkrieg" - did not like him because of this change in his faith.

VBR
Rammjaeger
Old 2 July 2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Blue Devil
Observer

Yeah, I wondered about that...

Rammjager,

I kind of wondered about Berthold, since my limited sources do say he was with the Freicorps. And I always thought Frankl remained Jewish since the Nazis had him removed from the honors lists when they came to power. So thanks for the clarifications!

Safarik does list the Jewish aces with each individual nation's list as well, I think he gathered them together under Israel just as a cross referencing matter to make them easier to find in one place.

BD
Old 2 July 2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Some thoughts on the aces site:

An enormous amt. of info, broken down into categories you just don't see elsewhere (Soviet balloon aces!)

The scores attributed to USSR bomber pilots/crews are absurd, even moreso than ours.
Can't say about the tanks and vehicle claims but they seem DAMN high.

The Flying Tiger scores lump in air and ground claims but that's not explained.
Closed Thread