Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 01:14 AM   #1
Simon U

Photo documentation needed - please help.

I am currently building Eduard's 1:48 Pfalz DIII. I am hoping to build Machine number 1370/17 flown by Vizefeldwebel Hecht of Jasta 10. The problem I face is that I wish to build this machine in the British markings with which it was overpainted after being shot down by 35 Squadron RFC near Villers-Carbonnel on Dec 27 1917. I can find no pictures of this machine thus painted. Please help!

Also the photo in Norman Franks The Jasta Pilots of this machine dismantled and packed for transport would suggest that the area of fuselage between the two fuselage bands was white. This is not as depicted on the Eduard sheet. Similarly photos that I have found of the model completed in this scheme have not included the central white portion. My gut instinct is to go with the photo documentation but could someone confirm or disprove my interpretation of this photo.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Old 22 July 2006, 01:41 AM   #2
Ross_Moorhouse
Forum Ace of Aces

Moved this to the Aircraft as it should pick up some good replies.

"...you can never be too dogmatic about WWI finishes." the voice of reason..

Quote:
von Richthoven: How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you, the basis of an entire culture.
Old 22 July 2006, 03:42 AM   #3
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon U
I am currently building Eduard's 1:48 Pfalz DIII. I am hoping to build Machine number 1370/17 flown by Vizefeldwebel Hecht of Jasta 10. The problem I face is that I wish to build this machine in the British markings with which it was overpainted after being shot down by 35 Squadron RFC near Villers-Carbonnel on Dec 27 1917. I can find no pictures of this machine thus painted. Please help!... Simon

Von Richthofen's Flying Circus by Greg VanWyngarden, Windsock Feature, Albatros Pub. Ltd, Ray Rimell. This machine had a few modifications to the engine cowling for maintenance purposes. No white between the bands. Several images in this source.
Old 22 July 2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi Simon U,

As Stephen said, there are plenty of well-known photos showing this D.III in British markings. Here is the most familiar:

You can see the alterations made to the cowling. The area between the black bands was definitely silver-gray (as Stephen says) and not white.

Greg VanWyngarden

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 23 July 2006, 01:23 AM   #5
Simon U

Thankyou both. I will try and track down the reference you mention. I can clearly see that the space between the fuselage bands was not white in this photo. Can you account for the appearance in the photo shown in The Jasta pilots? Was the front of the cowling repainted after modification..it appears bicoloured and not the uniform yellow I was expecting. Sorry to be so ignorant on the subject.
Thanks again
Simon

Old 23 July 2006, 08:54 AM   #6
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Simon...Remember, I said it was modified for maintenance purposes? It was not modified in the image after capture you described, so it had to be done by the British later.
Old 23 July 2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi,

Here's a close-up of the cowling.

At the time of capture the original cowling was 'uniform yellow'. What you see as 'white' in this photo is, I imagine, new cowling panels installed by the Brits for ease of maintenance as Stephen says. I believe these were simply bright unpainted metal. The little white bits may be chalked notes or instructions of some kind.

Greg

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 23 July 2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Simon U

Thanks again Stephen and Greg.
This information is proving very useful and is just the sort of thing I was looking for. The cowling modification is clear to see and I would imagine would of a similar cut out shape on the starboard side. I also imagine that what appears dark grey/black on the front of the cowling is just the way yellow is represented in a monochrome image.

I would still like to hear whether (when in German hands) the central portion of the fuselage band was white. It definitely appears this way in the photo below. Rest assured I won't be painting it white on the model but did Eduard get it wrong?

Last edited by Simon U; 23 July 2006 at 10:34 PM.

Old 23 July 2006, 10:30 PM   #9
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Simon you understand that it is not a great copy of the original right? This is like a 3rd or 4th generation copy. Also the winter sun glare has washed out the area your discussing.
Old 23 July 2006, 10:40 PM   #10
Simon U

Ok I think I understand now - took me long enough!
So much for the photo never lies!

Seriously - thankyou

Closed Thread